_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General: Advice on...
Need some general advice? Place it here.
which spray booth 2 buy?
SpaceXhydro
Visit this Community
England - South West, United Kingdom
entire network: 418 Posts
KitMaker Network: 58 Posts
Posted: Friday, November 30, 2018 - 07:34 AM UTC
Hi everyone,

Can anybody suggest a good (and not too expensive) spray booth for me to buy?

today i was spraying mr surface for the first time, and i could still smell the paint through my mask. so i thought its time to get a spray booth.

i am starting my search, but i need your suggestions on what to buy.

looking forwards to your replies,

hyder
RLlockie
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
entire network: 1,112 Posts
KitMaker Network: 126 Posts
Posted: Friday, November 30, 2018 - 08:10 AM UTC
I acquired one from either Amazon or eBay a year or so ago for around £60. It’s a generic Chinese affair but it does the job for me. There are obviously more powerful devices for those doing a lot of spraying but I’m not one of those people. If you frequently paint 1/350 battleships or the like and/or use noxious solvents then you might want something larger and able to shift a greater volume of air.
retiredyank
Visit this Community
Arkansas, United States
entire network: 11,610 Posts
KitMaker Network: 3,657 Posts
Posted: Friday, November 30, 2018 - 01:28 PM UTC
I would change the filters or buy a better mask.
Pave-Hawk
Visit this Community
Western Australia, Australia
entire network: 900 Posts
KitMaker Network: 92 Posts
Posted: Friday, November 30, 2018 - 04:04 PM UTC

Quoted Text

This. If you can still smell paint through your mask, it's not doing it's job properly.

Which isn't to say you can't also get a spray booth. I use both mask and spray booth, particularly when spraying lacquers.
Scarred
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
entire network: 1,792 Posts
KitMaker Network: 482 Posts
Posted: Friday, November 30, 2018 - 10:10 PM UTC
I've got one of these except I got the LED lights. It's not bad, comes with the vent and hose. It's 17 inches across so large scale or big kits won't fit.

https://www.amazon.com/Master-Airbrush-Portable-Optional-Extension/dp/B00B2TESUQ
retiredyank
Visit this Community
Arkansas, United States
entire network: 11,610 Posts
KitMaker Network: 3,657 Posts
Posted: Saturday, December 01, 2018 - 02:55 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

This. If you can still smell paint through your mask, it's not doing it's job properly.

Which isn't to say you can't also get a spray booth. I use both mask and spray booth, particularly when spraying lacquers.

My point is, why pay +$100 for a booth, when you can buy a mask for
Scarred
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, December 01, 2018 - 04:03 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

My point is, why pay +$100 for a booth, when you can buy a mask for

Because I'd rather not wear a mask while waiting for my house to vent off paint fumes. They're uncomfortable (mask not fumes), itchy, make my face twitch but most importantly I can't drink anything while wearing one. So a booth vents the majority of the fumes outside and I can enjoy an ice cold beverage when ever I want.

EDIT: I'd have to buy 3 or 4 masks so every one gets one not to mention I'd also need masks for two cats and a dog.
justsendit
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
entire network: 3,033 Posts
KitMaker Network: 361 Posts
Posted: Saturday, December 01, 2018 - 06:53 AM UTC
Booth + respirator = healthy modeler. This is not an area to cheap-out on.

I never spray anything before turning on the booth fan and wearing a good respirator mask — replacing all filters as needed. This procedure became automatic in practically no time. Good safety procedures are a must. IMHO.

—mike
mcderek
Visit this Community
entire network: 15 Posts
KitMaker Network: 13 Posts
Posted: Saturday, December 01, 2018 - 01:34 PM UTC
How about building you own? I built one many years ago that worked great. I sold it for a decent amount. The fan unit is the main expense. There are plans on the internet. Something like this:

https://vent-works.com/blogs/the-ventilation-blog/15945741-diy-hobby-spray-booth

SpaceXhydro
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, December 02, 2018 - 12:37 AM UTC

Quoted Text

How about building you own? I built one many years ago that worked great. I sold it for a decent amount. The fan unit is the main expense. There are plans on the internet. Something like this:

https://vent-works.com/blogs/the-ventilation-blog/15945741-diy-hobby-spray-booth

Thank you for posting the link for that page. i will look into trying to build a spray booth.

If i can't build it, then i'll just buy a spray booth.

As for the face mask, i will also replace with a better one.
U-mark
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
entire network: 128 Posts
KitMaker Network: 22 Posts
Posted: Sunday, December 02, 2018 - 12:49 AM UTC
YouTube also has a number of videos on how to make your own spray booth.
SSGToms
Visit this Community
Connecticut, United States
entire network: 3,608 Posts
KitMaker Network: 512 Posts
Posted: Monday, December 03, 2018 - 02:54 PM UTC
I have the portable airbrush booth already mentioned and it has served me excellently for years. I highly recommend it.
Alternatively, If you go into the Armorama Painting forum, there is a post pinned to the top of the forum on building your own booth with low cost components. Simple to follow directions and simply brilliant design.
kevinekstrom
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
entire network: 82 Posts
KitMaker Network: 57 Posts
Posted: Saturday, December 22, 2018 - 07:29 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I've got one of these except I got the LED lights. It's not bad, comes with the vent and hose. It's 17 inches across so large scale or big kits won't fit.

https://www.amazon.com/Master-Airbrush-Portable-Optional-Extension/dp/B00B2TESUQ

You do realize you can hook 2 of the units together?

I have owned one of these for years and it works just fine. Manufacturer does not recommended for enamel paints, but i mostly shoot accrylic these days, so no big deal.
Scarred
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, December 22, 2018 - 11:16 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

You do realize you can hook 2 of the units together?

I have owned one of these for years and it works just fine. Manufacturer does not recommended for enamel paints, but i mostly shoot accrylic these days, so no big deal.

Yeah, that's the plan but I've run outa bench space. And I've shot some enamels and lacquer with no issues. But like you I've switched to primarily acrylics.
RobinNilsson
Staff MemberDirector of Member Services
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Stockholm, Sweden
entire network: 6,693 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,042 Posts
Posted: Sunday, January 20, 2019 - 08:30 PM UTC

Quoted Text

The booth itself cost around 50000. Then with the sprinklers, permits architect etc... It's like 65000 by the time you are all said and done

Which currency?
/ Robin
SpaceXhydro
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, January 21, 2019 - 12:05 AM UTC
Hi everyone,

Just to let you know I've bought a spray booth from ebay. The spray booth is a Bartsharp make and it pretty easy to set up since its portable.

The only problem is that one of the light peices has problems working, probably because it doesn't fit in right. The other two peices work and the lighting is good.

It costed close to £90, but I think its better to buy one than trying to build one.
 _GOTOTOP