_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General: Advice on...
Need some general advice? Place it here.
How model kits box art would effect your buyi
vito375
Visit this Community
Istanbul, Turkey / Türkçe
entire network: 8 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2 Posts
Posted: Thursday, November 29, 2018 - 10:01 PM UTC
Hello,
I have to admit that I bought some models because I liked the box art. I know some of you would say that details and accuracy more important but how about you?
RobinNilsson
Staff MemberDirector of Member Services
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Stockholm, Sweden
entire network: 6,693 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,042 Posts
Posted: Thursday, November 29, 2018 - 10:16 PM UTC
Not at all. Not one bit.
I buy the contents, not the box art.
I do not care about the box art, only the insides.
As far as I am concerned the box art could just as well be a line drawing. I have a few boxes where the box art show a lot of details that are not present on the actual plastic inside. Some of my favourite kits have a very limited box art, in some cases it is not even a line drawing.
Some kits come in too flimsy boxes and those get re-packaged into a sturdier box I keep the box art if it looks as if it could add information that is not in the plastic or the assembly diagram.

I have a few kits that came without any box at all.
The manufacturer packed two different kits in one larger box, safely cushioned and wrapped, to save on the shipping costs. When I received them I had to find two other boxes to put them in.
I have also received bagged sprues and the boxes as flat packs that I had to fold and click together to make boxes
/ Robin
HeavyArty
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
entire network: 17,694 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,968 Posts
Posted: Friday, November 30, 2018 - 12:42 AM UTC
^^Ditto^^

I could care less if it is just a white box with the words of what is inside.
Tojo72
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
entire network: 4,691 Posts
KitMaker Network: 668 Posts
Posted: Friday, November 30, 2018 - 12:50 AM UTC
Box art in no way affects any purchase.Price,build reviews,past history of company,my experience with the company,all have some input but not whether or not there is a cool picture on the box.

Likewise if some compamy puts what some percieve as a unflattering picture,like Aoshima in the sinking of Hermes,it would make no difference if I wanted the kit.
Kevlar06
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
entire network: 3,670 Posts
KitMaker Network: 527 Posts
Posted: Friday, November 30, 2018 - 03:53 AM UTC
When I was twelve (back in 1964) I bought the box art with a model in the box. These days I could care less about the art. It's what's in the box that counts! However, I do use the "/features" part of the box on occasion to differentiate between kits and manufacturers. That's why it's important to me that manufacturers accurately list the kit feaures or post photos or CAD drawings of the kit on the tops or sides of the box-- that's the only "artwork" that counts for me.
VR, Russ
Scarred
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
entire network: 1,792 Posts
KitMaker Network: 482 Posts
Posted: Friday, November 30, 2018 - 04:57 AM UTC
Pre-Internet all you had was the box art unless you could get your hand on hobby-mags and catalogs. For me tho while building auto, big rig's, smaller airplanes, sci-fi I'll still look at box art while while making a decision. If the box has real images of the completed kit that's even better.
18Bravo
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
entire network: 7,219 Posts
KitMaker Network: 981 Posts
Posted: Friday, November 30, 2018 - 06:35 AM UTC
Or worse. (90's Academy)
vito375
Visit this Community
Istanbul, Turkey / Türkçe
entire network: 8 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2 Posts
Posted: Friday, November 30, 2018 - 06:41 AM UTC
Hmm as customer, product is important. I think, colorful picture on the box could takes attention while they are sitting on shelves in hobby store. Today most people buy over the internet.Yes I mainly looking reviews and price for making decision. Just for marketing, I still believe there is some degree attractiveness of box art.
Tojo72
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
entire network: 4,691 Posts
KitMaker Network: 668 Posts
Posted: Friday, November 30, 2018 - 07:00 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Hmm as customer, product is important. I think, colorful picture on the box could takes attention while they are sitting on shelves in hobby store. Today most people buy over the internet. Just for marketing, I still believe there is some degree attractiveness of box art.

I guess that could be true if you impulse buy your models,something catches your eye and you are drawn to it.With the prices of kits today,I never buy like that,all my purchases are researched to see if they are money well spent,even then you never know,but I have to say that box art makes no diffrence to me,but it is eye candy after I buy.
 _GOTOTOP