_GOTOBOTTOM
Tips & Tricks
Ask about and post about tips and tricks you use while modelling.
Building/Painting 1/700 Aircraft
ChurchSTSV
Visit this Community
Arizona, United States
entire network: 350 Posts
KitMaker Network: 88 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, November 27, 2018 - 05:16 AM UTC
As son of you may know, I am trying to complete the HobbyBoss AZ and it comes with two floatplanes. The planes consist of one piece for the body and the three pods for the floats.

I managed to AB all of the pieces but am having a hard time figuring our how to paint the underside the whitish color it required.

I will get some pictures tonight.

My question is, these things are so small, how do you guys paint/assemble these and make them look halfway decent? I haven't even gotten to the decals yet which are hilariously tiny.
ChurchSTSV
Visit this Community
Arizona, United States
entire network: 350 Posts
KitMaker Network: 88 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, November 28, 2018 - 03:57 AM UTC
Ok so here are some pictures

The place itself is pretty good. Missing some detail for the canopy tho. Need some ideas on how to paint that without it looking awful.

Here is one of the floats for the wing:

Now the top of the plane is blue and the bottom is white. So I am trying to think of a way to paint not only the plane, but the tops of the floats.

I am thinking I spray the whole thing gray, assemble and spray the top blue; but how would I get the top of the floats to be the same blue color once assembled? Any help would be appreciated!!
Kevlar06
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
entire network: 3,670 Posts
KitMaker Network: 527 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, November 28, 2018 - 05:59 AM UTC
Simple solution: Go out and get some Silly Putty. Paint the aircraft white. Press the bottom of the aircraft into the Silly Putty, effectively masking it. Paint the top blue. The canopy can be painted gloss black, or even gloss dark blue with a small brush. Another technique would be to find some black or dark blue decal material and apply to the canopy. Another technique I've used is to mix gloss silver and dark blue together as desired for a canopy "glass" shade. As for the floats, I'd hand paint the blue and white bottoms. If you are really good at hand painting (as in having a steady hand), make your paintbrush using a hair or two from another brush (I use a kitchen skewer), cut it short to fit your hand, drill a small hole in the end and superglue in the fine hairs. Use this brush to paint in the canopy frames. I have several of these brushes I my brush bottle, they come in handy for all kinds of little details.
VR, Russ
 _GOTOTOP