_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General: Advice on...
Need some general advice? Place it here.
Glue
Ibuild148
Visit this Community
California, United States
entire network: 177 Posts
KitMaker Network: 10 Posts
Posted: Sunday, November 25, 2018 - 11:46 AM UTC
Greetings Armorama Modelers?
After a 1 year + absence I have my new space finally setup.
Today was my first day setting down and I took some time to repairing some builds
that got roughed up in the move.
My first encounter was I noticed that all my Tenax 7R had evaporated.
My second encounter was that I cannot find it online. I’m assuming there out of business.

What is a good substitute?
Tojo72
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
entire network: 4,691 Posts
KitMaker Network: 668 Posts
Posted: Sunday, November 25, 2018 - 12:53 PM UTC
Tamiya Extra Thin,bottle with the green cap.
Ibuild148
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, November 25, 2018 - 01:13 PM UTC
Thanks Tojo72.
Any comments on micro weld?
Kevlar06
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
entire network: 3,670 Posts
KitMaker Network: 527 Posts
Posted: Sunday, November 25, 2018 - 02:26 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Thanks Tojo72.
Any comments on micro weld?

Micro Weld is Ok, but I primarily use Tamiya extra Thin. Really neither compares to Tenax. Tenax is a super thin hot glue, but it has a tendency to evaporate and dry fast (hence why it evaporated in storage). This makes Tenax great for attaching small parts, but it's quick drying properties mean it evaporates before you get the strongest bond. The only other glue I've used that comes close to Tenax's drying property is Walther's Pro-Weld. In fact, of all the glues I've tried, I like Pro-Weld the best, it dries fast with a really strong bond. Second would be Tamiya. But Pro-Weld is also difficult to find like Tenax. I've probably tried all the liquid glues at one time or another over the last 50 years. MEK (Methyl Ethyl Ketone) is very close to Tenax, but it's also hazardous to use when its straight out of the can, requiring some mixing to get optimal results. Flexi-File makes a glue similar to Pro-Weld and Tenax (with some of Tenax's fast drying qualities). Flexi-File is sometimes available at Hobby Lobby. Hope this helps.
VR, Russ
RobinNilsson
Staff MemberDirector of Member Services
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Stockholm, Sweden
entire network: 6,693 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,042 Posts
Posted: Monday, November 26, 2018 - 01:51 AM UTC
Another alternative is ethyl acetate:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ethyl_acetate
Organic compound, can be found naturally in wine (small quantities so don't waste wine by trying to use it as glue).
Used in nail polish and nail polish remover.

One supplier in the US:
https://www.sigmaaldrich.com/catalog/product/sial/270989?lang=en®ion=SE
but it should be possible to order from chemistry shops and
paint shops.

It evaporates quickly so the work process is slightly backward:
First you dry fit and adjust until the parts fit.
Then you fit the parts together and clamp or hold them.
With the parts held together you apply a very small amount of etyl acetate to the joint. The solvent will now be sucked into the joint by capillary action, dissolve the bonds in the styrene, evaporate and let the mixed up bonds re-bond and "glue" the parts together.

I used to do it the "old" way until I got fed up with messing around applying glue to bond surfaces and then trying to get everything pressed together before the glue dried up or the solvent evaporated.

/ Robin
retiredyank
Visit this Community
Arkansas, United States
entire network: 11,610 Posts
KitMaker Network: 3,657 Posts
Posted: Monday, November 26, 2018 - 09:23 AM UTC
I filled an empty Tamiya extra thin jar, with MEK. Nasty stuff, but I wear a mask. It works just as well, if not better than Tamiya. And, at $9 a liter is quite thrifty.
Ibuild148
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, November 26, 2018 - 01:08 PM UTC
Thank you Tojo, Matthew and Robin for your input. I’ll continue to use Tamiya
And explore the Flexi-File. I’m glad to be back at the bench and gluing.
mcderek
Visit this Community
entire network: 15 Posts
KitMaker Network: 13 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, November 27, 2018 - 01:27 PM UTC
I haven't used it but if you are looking for Tenax or Pro Weld check out Micro Marks
Same Stuff

https://www.micromark.com/SAME-STUFF-APPLICATOR

Kevlar06
Visit this Community
entire network: 3,670 Posts
KitMaker Network: 527 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, November 27, 2018 - 03:16 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I haven't used it but if you are looking for Tenax or Pro Weld check out Micro Marks
Same Stuff

https://www.micromark.com/SAME-STUFF-APPLICATOR

"Same Stuff" is "almost" exactly what Pro-Weld and Flexi-file is. Almost. That's why they call it "Same Stuff" I guess, but it's not quite the "same stuff". I've used it several times, but I don't think it's really entirely the "same stuff" as Pro-weld. It is more like the Flexi-file, glue, but I think the bonding qualities of Pro-Weld are better. It may just be me, but I find Pro-Weld has the perfect drying quality, close to Tenax, and the bonding ability of Tamiya. I think the basic chemical formulations of Pro-Weld, Flexi-File, and "Same Stuff" are awfully close, but not quite the "same". I used to keep several bottles of each on hand, but lately all Ive been able to find locally is Tamiya extra thin and Flexi-file, and the two are definitely different formulations. At one time about 15 years ago, I bought a case of 24 bottles of Pro-Weld from a model RR store that was going out of business. The owner told me the company that makes it only produces it once a year, and when its gone, its gone for the rest of the year. I noticed Micro-Mark started carrying "Same Stuff" at about the same time, and the packaging is similar. I ordered three bottles from Micro Mark two years ago, when I finally ran out of Pro-Weld. It struck me as similar, but the bonding qualities aren't quite the same-- it takes longer to dry as well (not much longer, but it is noticeable).
VR, Russ
mcderek
Visit this Community
entire network: 15 Posts
KitMaker Network: 13 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, November 28, 2018 - 07:37 AM UTC
Good to know. Thanks for the info. There is a local model railroad shop that has quite a few dust covered bottles of Tenax 7R. They looked like they've lost some of their contents even while sitting on the shelf.
 _GOTOTOP