History Club
Military history and past events only. Rants or inflamitory comments will be removed.
Hosted by Frank Amato
I was'ent in the army but my grand father was
thenamshow
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
entire network: 104 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 24, 2004 - 02:06 PM UTC
my grandfather who unforuntaly passed away 5 years ago. was in the army in ww2, he was in the first armored division (old iron sides) in the 3rd army. he was under Patton's cammand. he was also part of the 16 armored engernerred division(which means he knew his way arond a sherman!!) he served in northeren africa. after X amount of months he was caputred by a german genral romeal (a.k.a. the desert fox) he was put in a german prison camp for 26 months. when he came home his teeth were filed down to a point. i found this sad.

i thought you guys would like to hear about this. post replies on wat happened to you or what your thoughts are on this.
AJLaFleche
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
entire network: 8,074 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,574 Posts
Posted: Thursday, March 25, 2004 - 06:02 AM UTC
My father was too young to see active duty in WWII, however, my father in law left hom in West Virginia to join up (even though he was underage) and was assigned to the 36th Texas Infantry. He saw action in North Africa, Sicily, Italy, France (was hospitalized during the Normandy landings with one of two wounds he suffered) and Belgium. During the North Africa landings he was photographed by a Life photographer and his picture has beenwidely used.

He's the young looking kid with the net on his helmet.