_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling Questions?
Ask your modeling related questions here.
Tamiya TS range
PanzerKarl
Visit this Community
England - North West, United Kingdom
entire network: 2,439 Posts
KitMaker Network: 283 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, November 21, 2018 - 12:46 AM UTC
I have never used Tamiya's TS sprays and would like to know how they spray?
I have always had an airbrush but that's long gone and I am getting back into doing Star Wars figures from Bandia.I have just ordered K2SO and would like to paint him to get rid of the seem lines and sprue attachment points.
I would just be spraying over the bare plastic no primer.

Cheers
VintageRPM
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
entire network: 300 Posts
KitMaker Network: 80 Posts
Posted: Thursday, November 22, 2018 - 03:20 AM UTC
The TS paints, especially the flat colors are wonderful paints, but can be a bit tricky to use. I use the gloss colors all the time on model cars.

Dust on the first coat of two. You shouldn’t need primer on plastic as the dust coats should not attack the plastic. I still use primer if there are any aftermarket or scratch built parts or putty on the model to get a even base coat. And, of course, resin & metal must be primed.

When applying wet coats, don’t get too close or you can induce bubbles (of propellant) into the paint. Of course, too far way can result in orange peal, which is more of an issue with the gloss paints.

I apply coats 15-30 minutes apart. More than an hour and you should probably wait 5-7 days. The undercoats will cure faster than the overcoats and possibly crack the outer layers of paint as the shrink. For multi-color schemes, you should wait 5-7 days between colors.

When masking gloss colors, get the masking material off as soon as possible. I’ve seen Tamiya tape discolor the paint because it was left on too long.

Always, always use a respirator (not a dust mask) when using these paints, as they are lacquer based.

One last note, if you are confused between the two gloss whites, Pure White is as it says and Racing White is off-white.
PanzerKarl
Visit this Community
England - North West, United Kingdom
entire network: 2,439 Posts
KitMaker Network: 283 Posts
Posted: Thursday, November 22, 2018 - 04:22 AM UTC
Thank you Mike that is very informative.
 _GOTOTOP