_GOTOBOTTOM
Introductions
If you are new to the network please post a little something here to introduce yourself.
*clicks heels, salutes smartly, falls over*
gweeble
Visit this Community
New York, United States
entire network: 19 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 24, 2004 - 12:38 PM UTC
Hi, I'm Gweeble... *blarg!*
I just started down the path of modeling, I haven't done it in years (10+), and being 25, with no end in sight for college/grad school/etc, I need an alternative to chasing beer and hitting concerts. Growing up and down, *chuckle*.

Back when I was a kid I use to hit flea markets (dad is antique dealer, I am sorta too) and get 1/35 scale model people (Tamiya probably) and I also use to get a magazine called Military Modeler... I can't easily find these items anymore. I live in the boonies of Upstate NY and this college town has no hobby shops.

What I want to make: I want to do dioramas (war, rpg), various scales... Scratchbuilding a lot of things (I have an art degree, so I do have some materials, but not the important stuff).

I need to find online stores/sources (no auctions, been burned a lot on things) for: ww2 to vietnam era models, 1/35th scale, figures too. I also need metal rpg miniatures as well (like warhammer or d&d, not picky). I need good paints, airbrush?, and all the things you reccomend for a tool kit.

Materials for dioramas - I've been doing quite well so far, I live on a lake and I get very fine stone/pebbles (like -very- fine) and course sand. I have plaster, various mosses and such.

So , I'm asking all you wonderful people for help, where can I buy this stuff, what do you suggest I get for a beginner...? THANKS!

animal
Visit this Community
entire network: 4,503 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,163 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 24, 2004 - 12:52 PM UTC
Welcome to Armorama Gweeble, Glad to see you have joined us. There are a lot of online hobby stores that you can find just about everything that you may need to build some decent dioramas. Check with the guys on the diorama forum. These guys are always ready to help out. Enjoy. http://www.greatmodels.com/ http://www.internethobbies.com/
http://www.modelmecca.com/

[ http://hobbylinc.com/ Here are a few shops to look at for kits and supplies. There are some that you can find here on the main page of some of our sponsors. Enjoy.
MEBM
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
entire network: 1,055 Posts
KitMaker Network: 428 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 24, 2004 - 01:07 PM UTC
Welcome to the "Big A"! If your looking for some good stores, just check the top. I've heard they're pretty good. Thanks for your time.
gweeble
Visit this Community
New York, United States
Posted: Wednesday, March 24, 2004 - 01:14 PM UTC
Thanks, I'll wander over to the diorama section
DRAGONSLAIN
Visit this Community
Distrito Federal, Mexico
entire network: 779 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 24, 2004 - 01:28 PM UTC
Online stores are a pretty good option when you lack a decent hobby shop, and I think you could get everything there.
m1garand
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
entire network: 1,248 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 24, 2004 - 02:08 PM UTC
Welcome to Armorama!
Here's a couple links to get you started:

Model Makers Toolbox

Shopping Links
HARV
Visit this Community
Wyoming, United States
entire network: 3,098 Posts
KitMaker Network: 899 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 24, 2004 - 10:36 PM UTC
Welcome, glad to have you with us. Don't hesitate to ask any questions that you have. Enjoy yourself here at Armorama.

gweeble
Visit this Community
New York, United States
Posted: Thursday, March 25, 2004 - 05:29 PM UTC
thanks, i'm trying to learn what i can, lots to read, kinda overwhelming...
scoccia
Visit this Community
Milano, Italy
entire network: 2,606 Posts
Posted: Thursday, March 25, 2004 - 07:03 PM UTC
Welcome to the best site around Gweeble!!! Have fun.
Ciao from Italy
Major_Goose
Visit this Community
Kikladhes, Greece / Ελλάδα
entire network: 6,871 Posts
Posted: Sunday, March 28, 2004 - 07:33 PM UTC
Welcome aboard my friend . the help and feeling you get here is above anything in model life. Build and enjoy
Greetings from Greece
 _GOTOTOP