_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General: Advice on...
Need some general advice? Place it here.
Good picture hosting sites?
timmyp
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
entire network: 496 Posts
KitMaker Network: 90 Posts
Posted: Monday, November 19, 2018 - 12:00 PM UTC
Hey everyone.

I was wondering if I could ask for some suggestions for a 3rd party picture hosting site. I used to use photobucket, but then they up and went kablooey on everyone; I switched over to cubeupload, but now, it looks like they've gone south, too.

I see in my blog, that older photos that were hosted on PB, are now back, albeit with a thing in the corner that says "proudly hosted on photobucket" (or something like that). Did PB relent, and make their free 3rd party hosting active again?

So if there are any suggestions or comments, please let me know.

Thanks!!

Tim
SgtRam
Staff MemberContributing Writer
AEROSCALE
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
entire network: 3,971 Posts
KitMaker Network: 568 Posts
Posted: Monday, November 19, 2018 - 01:26 PM UTC
I use Google, never had any problem. Since i use an Android device, my photo are automatically backup there anyways.

timmyp
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
Posted: Monday, November 19, 2018 - 01:53 PM UTC
Thanks, Kevin. I'll take a look.
justsendit
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
entire network: 3,033 Posts
KitMaker Network: 361 Posts
Posted: Monday, November 19, 2018 - 03:10 PM UTC
Oh yeah, get thee gone from PB!!! I left them when they started that $400.00 third-party hosting crap. I've been using imgur ever since and really like the user-friendly format.📸 HTH.

—mike
timmyp
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
Posted: Monday, November 19, 2018 - 04:20 PM UTC
Mike,

Thanks. I looked back through my blog, when PB went off the rails, and someone had suggested imgur. But in looking at their ToS, they threatened to ban anyone using their site for 3rd party hosting, as well as trying to ban people to the website where they were linking their photos.

But how's your experience with imgur so far?

I saw where Kitmaker used to sell storage space, and a user could buy up some space fairly cheaply - does this ring any bells?

Thanks,

Tim
justsendit
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
entire network: 3,033 Posts
KitMaker Network: 361 Posts
Posted: Monday, November 19, 2018 - 05:05 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I saw where Kitmaker used to sell storage space, and a user could buy up some space fairly cheaply - does this ring any bells?

Hate to say it, but uploading through KitMaker is waaaaaaay tedious... sorry Jim. You'll notice there are several members here on the KitMaker Network who use imgur. Only speaking for myself, I can say that my experience with imgur has been very positive thus far. Worth mentioning: There is an imgur mobile app available as well; I've been using it on my Apple iPhone and iPad Pro devices for a quite some time now — don't know about PC devices.

Anyway, if down the road, imgur decides to pull a "PB" — then I'm through posting for good. I absolutely refuse to go through that insanity again.

Cheers!🍺
—mike
varanusk
Staff MemberManaging Editor
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
Santa Cruz de Tenerife, Spain / España
entire network: 1,288 Posts
KitMaker Network: 337 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, November 20, 2018 - 02:39 AM UTC
I like www.tinypic.com , it is quite easy to use and does not even required an account if you do not want to. And also gives you the code to paste on the messsage!
retiredyank
Visit this Community
Arkansas, United States
entire network: 11,610 Posts
KitMaker Network: 3,657 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, November 20, 2018 - 03:46 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Hate to say it, but uploading through KitMaker is waaaaaaay tedious... sorry Jim. You'll notice there are several members here on the KitMaker Network who use imgur. Only speaking for myself, I can say that my experience with imgur has been very positive thus far. Worth mentioning: There is an imgur mobile app available as well; I've been using it on my Apple iPhone and iPad Pro devices for a quite some time now — don't know about PC devices.

Anyway, if down the road, imgur decides to pull a "PB" — then I'm through posting for good. I absolutely refuse to go through that insanity again.

Cheers!🍺
—mike

Dedicated Imgur fan. The process is quite easy. It allows you to size your photos, with one click. You may edit them, further but why?
timmyp
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
Posted: Wednesday, November 21, 2018 - 01:35 PM UTC
Thanks for all the comments! As I was reading all the comments, in the back of my mind, I was pretty sure I already had an imageshack account...which I do, because I have the UI and PW written down! So logging in to my account, it says my free 30-day trial is over...so I can't see what photos I've posted previously on IS (which, in looking at the properties, was 10 years ago!).

I took a look at Imgur (how do you even pronounce that?), and their front page just looks so busy! I take it once you get into your account, you can make photos private? There's just so much there, it's hard to get my bearings (and the comments on the photos are just all over the place).

Haven't looked at the tinypic site that was suggested, so that might be the next stop.

Thanks again!

Tim
timmyp
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
Posted: Thursday, November 22, 2018 - 01:16 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I like www.tinypic.com , it is quite easy to use and does not even required an account if you do not want to. And also gives you the code to paste on the messsage!

I looked at tinypic yesterday, and in reading their ToS, guess who they're owned by? Ta-da!! Photobucket!! So even though tinypic's webpage says you can share photos on blogs, there's no guarantee that they'll become like their parent corporation and want to charge an arm and a leg for hosting purposes.
 _GOTOTOP