_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General
General discussions about modeling topics.
Super Pershing paint scheme
Invincible
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
entire network: 148 Posts
KitMaker Network: 25 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, November 07, 2018 - 08:14 AM UTC
I've been building Hobbyboss' superpershing,but am stuck on the paint scheme. The box and painting guide suggest overall olive drab, but a picture taken in an armour dump in 1945 shows the turret painted in olive drab with black Camouflage. Does anyone have a definitive answer for how it was painted?
Thanks in advance!
highpoint
Visit this Community
Arizona, United States
entire network: 55 Posts
KitMaker Network: 12 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, November 07, 2018 - 12:48 PM UTC
Hey Invincible,
The Super Pershing had the black bands on both the turret and hull. If you decide on a wartime one, don't put the A2 decal on the turret mantlet counterweight (I think that is the decal) it was postwar at the depot. Another note, the serial number decal that goes between the lifting lugs on the front is too wide-you have to finagle it a bit. I built that kit about 6 years or so ago. There was a good article in an issue of MMIR
Jeff
Invincible
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
Posted: Thursday, November 08, 2018 - 10:39 AM UTC
Thank you so much! I'll have to see if I can find that article.
kennethc
Visit this Community
Arkansas, United States
entire network: 348 Posts
KitMaker Network: 269 Posts
Posted: Thursday, November 15, 2018 - 08:52 AM UTC
As a side note two books I have read pertain to the Super Pershing. Death Traps by Belton Cooper talks about the modifications made to the vehicle (counter weights and additional armor)by the guys that did it. The other one is Another River, Another Town by John P Irwin. He was the gunner on that tank and talks about it quite a bit.
Invincible
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
Posted: Thursday, November 15, 2018 - 10:42 AM UTC
Thanks for the recommendations! Eventually I decided the Camouflage and registration numbers looked a little boring so I raided the decal stash and pulled out some stars and whatnot to create a a what if. Maybe fighting in Japan or against the Soviets in 1946.
 _GOTOTOP