_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General
General discussions about modeling topics.
Military Manuals As Resource...
11Charlie
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
entire network: 926 Posts
KitMaker Network: 329 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 23, 2004 - 04:35 PM UTC
I know many of you already know that military manuals can be a great resource for model building. With that in mind, I thought I'd pass on the email address of a guy I recently hooked up with who lives in Austin Texas. He apparently has quite an assortment of manuals.

His name is David Albert, and you just need to email him to find out what he has available...he sent me scans of the actual manuals I would be getting and he has very reasonable prices. He also ships media mail, which is much cheaper than the shipping you'll pay elsewhere (Ebay for example). His email address is: [email protected]

Thought I'd throw this out there as another resource...can never have too many of those in this hobby... :-)
shonen_red
Visit this Community
Metro Manila, Philippines
entire network: 5,762 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,610 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 23, 2004 - 05:26 PM UTC
That's good! Does he have Harrier manuals especially the FRS-1 and the AV-8B?
11Charlie
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
Posted: Wednesday, March 24, 2004 - 05:45 AM UTC

Quoted Text

That's good! Does he have Harrier manuals especially the FRS-1 and the AV-8B?

Shonen_red,

You'll have to email him...you can tell him I referred you to him (I get nothing for the referral)...he may have to do some checking and get back with you. He has always replied one way or the other...He didn't have one I was looking for the other day, but it never hurts to ask.
wolfsix
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
entire network: 754 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 24, 2004 - 03:33 PM UTC
Darryl

Keep us updated on this guy. If he is for real I would be interested in ordering from him.

Wolfsix
firemann816
Visit this Community
Alabama, United States
entire network: 790 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 24, 2004 - 05:10 PM UTC
Is any of this public info from the US Printing office???
11Charlie
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
Posted: Wednesday, March 24, 2004 - 07:24 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Darryl

Keep us updated on this guy. If he is for real I would be interested in ordering from him.

Wolfsix

Wolfsix,

From what I've heard, and from my contacts with David so far, he is a very honest and straight up guy. A co-worker of mine (an avid gun collector) has ordered from him several times and has never had a problem. I'll post again here when I get my order. I just mailed payment this past Monday, 3/22/04.

Firemann816,

I'm not really sure what you're asking, but the manuals he has are the real thing...what you would get if you were actually in the military and the supply Sgt. handed it to you...at least I know the mortar manuals I'm getting are. He may have some other "types" of manuals and/or printed material, but you would have to inquire by sending David an email. I hope this answers your question. If not, please PM me. Thanks.
11Charlie
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
Posted: Thursday, March 25, 2004 - 04:37 AM UTC
I emailed David to let him know that there may be some folks doing the same looking for reference material and/or specific manuals, so...the doors open...just email him and tell him I referred you to him...again, I get nothing from this outside of knowing I may be helping my fellow modelers...which I'm always happy to do...

Email him at: [email protected]
11Charlie
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
Posted: Thursday, March 25, 2004 - 08:07 AM UTC
David's brother also owns two web sites that he posts some of his manuals...there are also some other items that may be of interest as well...

www.biggerhammer.net (Firearms/Technical Manuals and some firearms blueprints)

www.sturmgewehr.com (manuals are listed under the heading that includes the word "collector")

11Charlie
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
Posted: Tuesday, March 30, 2004 - 06:58 PM UTC
Okay guys,
I received the four manuals I ordered from David today...it took a week from the day I mailed him payment. He sent me an email confirming receipt of my payment and sent another saying when he shipped. He is great to deal with, so if you're in need of a specific manual, give him a try. I can't guarantee he'll have what you're looking for, but you won't know if you don't ask...and he does have a "looking for" list he can put you on. I know David was able to find some manuals and cover scans that kkeefe was looking for, but I'll let him address his experience...

BTW, the manuals I got were used (I knew that), but were in really good shape.
:-)
Sabot
entire network: 12,596 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,557 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 31, 2004 - 02:21 AM UTC
Man, I throw away hundreds of TMs. Enough to fill a dumpster.
kkeefe
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
entire network: 1,416 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 31, 2004 - 02:42 AM UTC
Altho TM's and FM's can be a valuable resource, I sometimes think that there is way too much info in there to be replicated in 1/35th scale unless you're 'into' that kind of detail. On the other hand, they can be great collector's items IMHO.

Back on topic...

I have recently dealt with David Albert from 11Charlie's original note here and all I can say is that this man is absolutly wonderful to deal with! He has also helped me out considerably with the last update of my website.
GunTruck
Visit this Community
California, United States
entire network: 5,885 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,405 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 31, 2004 - 03:05 AM UTC
There is a dumpster here in Campbell, California that needs fillin'!

Gunnie
matt
Staff MemberCampaigns Administrator
Visit this Community
New York, United States
entire network: 5,957 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,626 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 31, 2004 - 03:08 AM UTC
Geez....... Gunnie's already planning a Addition for a Library.......of TM's..... #:-) #:-) #:-)
11Charlie
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
Posted: Wednesday, March 31, 2004 - 10:56 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Man, I throw away hundreds of TMs. Enough to fill a dumpster.

Sabot,

Can you post any? You may have some the rest of us could use...all that potential to make some extra modeling bucks... :-)
Sabot
entire network: 12,596 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,557 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 31, 2004 - 11:13 AM UTC
Last time I tried to mail one to Gunnie (CEV -10), the wrapper got returned to me and the TM never made it.
11Charlie
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
Posted: Wednesday, March 31, 2004 - 04:17 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Last time I tried to mail one to Gunnie (CEV -10), the wrapper got returned to me and the TM never made it.

David mailed mine to me wrapped in plastic and then placed them in a small box rather than just wrapping it in brown paper. He even packed them in those styrofoam peanuts...media mailing for over three lbs. was $1.84...USPS...
 _GOTOTOP