_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General
General discussions about modeling topics.
Shapeways - Coming Pricing changes
matt
Staff MemberCampaigns Administrator
Visit this Community
New York, United States
entire network: 5,957 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,626 Posts
Posted: Thursday, October 25, 2018 - 05:53 AM UTC
I may be kissing goodbye to Shapeways come Jan. 1. They announced a change in pricing structure effective Jan. 1. I uploaded a few of my better selling products as "new" items and the prices go up 300-350% yes... the shackles that now cost $14 will cost $46.

I suggest you order from them before the end of the year when the prices go up, and I contemplate keeping my shop open or not, and other designers may follow suit.

I'll have to look at all 441 of my offerings to see if I can sprue them together and get the costing down... stuff that has separate parts will see the biggest increases.
HeavyArty
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
entire network: 17,694 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,968 Posts
Posted: Thursday, October 25, 2018 - 06:47 AM UTC
That much of an increase sounds nuts. Hopefully it is a glitch. I don't see how that would be justified. Let us know before you close your store if that is what you decide to do. I will be placing an order if that is the case.
matt
Visit this Community
New York, United States
Posted: Thursday, October 25, 2018 - 06:52 AM UTC
Basically all models that have separate pieces, are going to go up in cost exponentially. It sounds like they underestimated the "handling" costs of models that aren't sprued together.

I'll have to go thru all 441 of my products and see what isn't sprued together, and go from there.

I know I've lost a few of the models and would have to recreate them.

Between OT at work and stuff going on at home, hopefully I can get thru them and keep up with requests.

jimb
Visit this Community
New York, United States
entire network: 2,539 Posts
KitMaker Network: 263 Posts
Posted: Thursday, October 25, 2018 - 01:29 PM UTC
Well, that sucks. Kind of sounds like Shapeways is pulling a Photobucket.

Jim
matt
Visit this Community
New York, United States
Posted: Thursday, October 25, 2018 - 10:10 PM UTC
I did a quick test case with the best selling bolted shackles, and it looks like as long as I make sure everything is sprued together, I can keep pricing the same, and possibly lower. Some of the small volume stuff will go up as they seem to be adding in a minimum handling fee for each piece in a file.
Trisaw
Visit this Community
California, United States
entire network: 4,105 Posts
KitMaker Network: 251 Posts
Posted: Friday, October 26, 2018 - 03:28 AM UTC
Shapeways is "Okay" as they do offer items not found anywhere else.

I do find their resin prints brittle though and even model magazines tested and agree. Even accidentally dropping an item on the soft carpet split it along the print lines. They're that fragile.

If Shapeways uses the price increase to buy better 3D printers and better resin, then the price increase may be justified. Right now, their translucent 3D prints are just too weak to continue into the future. I've had friends 3D print for me and their 3D printer's resolution and resin was SO MUCH BETTER than anything from Shapeways because my friends can make solid strong prints, not thin walls with hollow centers that one can crush in one's hand.

Also, I find that the Shapeways process is a bit slow. It takes anywhere from a week to two weeks to print and deliver after an order, even for such a small part or trinket. One can get their model kit from an online store delivered faster than that.

So this begs the question...where will the price hike money go towards?
matt
Visit this Community
New York, United States
Posted: Friday, October 26, 2018 - 03:29 AM UTC
I've been toying with the idea of getting a SLA type... but convincing the wife is proving difficult.
MikeyBugs95
Visit this Community
New York, United States
entire network: 2,210 Posts
KitMaker Network: 345 Posts
Posted: Monday, November 12, 2018 - 06:34 PM UTC
I'm in the same boat Matt. I'm looking at the Anycubic Photon right now. It's less than $500 and is apparently a very good little machine. It has a small print space, though, basically in between Shapeways' FUD and FXD... Sorry "Smooth" and "Smoothest." And layer height is the same as SW's "Smooth"/FUD material. I'd personally prefer to get a printer with resolution similar to FXD, around 16 microns or so but that's way out of budget. I'm also looking at opening a parallel shop with i.materialise. I'll keep my Shapeways shop open for as long as it's feasible but this has been a very designer-hostile move by Shapeways and I wouldn't doubt it if they fold in a few years.
 _GOTOTOP