_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling Questions?
Ask your modeling related questions here.
getting out of hobby
INDIA11A
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
entire network: 577 Posts
KitMaker Network: 135 Posts
Posted: Saturday, October 20, 2018 - 05:26 AM UTC
Things have changed with life style ( so what should I do with all my built models,tons of spare parts, paints etc.?? I live in Northern Ontario, closest clubs are hours away.

Thanx

Doug
Specter1075
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
entire network: 55 Posts
KitMaker Network: 12 Posts
Posted: Saturday, October 20, 2018 - 06:30 AM UTC
Are your paints/tools worth selling? I'm in Winnipeg, so could be interested in taking some off your hands.
Tojo72
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
entire network: 4,691 Posts
KitMaker Network: 668 Posts
Posted: Saturday, October 20, 2018 - 07:07 AM UTC
Store them away for awhile if you have space,when the urge comes back,you will be glad ypu did.
barron
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
entire network: 666 Posts
KitMaker Network: 66 Posts
Posted: Sunday, October 21, 2018 - 06:48 AM UTC
I agree don't do what I did and get rid of everything. When I started doing rc planes I got rid of all my paints and kits. Very sorry of that now because I have to buy it all over again
Chillidragon
entire network: 104 Posts
KitMaker Network: 17 Posts
Posted: Sunday, October 21, 2018 - 07:42 AM UTC
Indeed. I allowed the wife to nag me into giving away most of my stash, including two Esci Skyhawks, two Matchbox Mystere IV, an Esci F4E, maybe two. There was also some stuff I don't miss, and who knows what else, most of which would be difficult and expensive to replace.

This was the second time for me; the first was unavoidable (parents refusing to store them, and I had nowhere to keep them).
BunkerBuster
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
entire network: 157 Posts
KitMaker Network: 36 Posts
Posted: Thursday, January 03, 2019 - 10:53 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Indeed. I allowed the wife to nag me into giving away most of my stash.....

Similar situation, but I resisted the nagging for about 10 years. Then I picked up another hobby that was 10X more expensive (rebuilding firearms from de-milled kits). The wife then begged me to go back to building plastic models. Finally got back to models about two years ago. Way more money in the bank now, but the nagging really never stopped completely.
ftauss
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
entire network: 30 Posts
KitMaker Network: 10 Posts
Posted: Thursday, July 02, 2020 - 04:35 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Similar situation, but I resisted the nagging for about 10 years. Then I picked up another hobby that was 10X more expensive (rebuilding firearms from de-milled kits). The wife then begged me to go back to building plastic models. Finally got back to models about two years ago. Way more money in the bank now, but the nagging really never stopped completely.

Do what I did. Replace her with someone who actually supports your interests. My new wife encourages me to indulge my hobbies and actually worked with me to have an addition built to house everything. Trains and models.

Best trade I ever made.

Frank
ivanhoe6
Visit this Community
Wisconsin, United States
entire network: 2,023 Posts
KitMaker Network: 626 Posts
Posted: Thursday, July 02, 2020 - 05:37 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Store them away for awhile if you have space,when the urge comes back,you will be glad ypu did.

Damned good advice! When the Winter winds in North Ontario blow you might be glad you kept your stuff.

Good Luck in whatever you decide.
brekinapez
Visit this Community
Georgia, United States
entire network: 2,272 Posts
KitMaker Network: 134 Posts
Posted: Thursday, July 02, 2020 - 09:52 AM UTC
Guys, the OP hasn't been here since January 2019 so I think any advice you have for him will go unheard.
cutigerfan
Visit this Community
South Carolina, United States
entire network: 133 Posts
KitMaker Network: 47 Posts
Posted: Friday, July 10, 2020 - 10:09 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Do what I did. Replace her with someone who actually supports your interests. My new wife encourages me to indulge my hobbies and actually worked with me to have an addition built to house everything. Trains and models.

Best trade I ever made.

Frank

Bingo!
Columbia26
Visit this Community
Alabama, United States
entire network: 5 Posts
KitMaker Network: 5 Posts
Posted: Monday, August 31, 2020 - 01:51 PM UTC
Your saying your getting out the hobby because you significant other does not like it? I wish someone would...lol!
 _GOTOTOP