_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General
General discussions about modeling topics.
barbed wire????
pod123
Visit this Community
England - South West, United Kingdom
entire network: 187 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 23, 2004 - 09:10 AM UTC
i recenatly got some italiara 1/35 scale barricade set i wondered does any one know how to make barbed wire i,ve found that 5amp fuse wire goes through the fence posts and is the right scale, however i cant seem to get the barb effect any 1 got any ideas????????
Grasshopp12
Visit this Community
New Hampshire, United States
entire network: 757 Posts
KitMaker Network: 205 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 23, 2004 - 09:18 AM UTC
A while back I made a bail of barbed wire by cutting a single strip from a sheet of screen, being careful to leave the 'fringes' from lines running perpendicular. I then painted it and rolled it into a bail to store on the back of my tank.
pod123
Visit this Community
England - South West, United Kingdom
entire network: 187 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 23, 2004 - 09:24 AM UTC
hi jeff thanks for your reply what do you mean by screen???? is it mesh sorry but i,ve not heard of it before
Longshanks
Visit this Community
England - West Midlands, United Kingdom
entire network: 191 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 23, 2004 - 09:30 AM UTC
Once the 2 horizontal wires are in place wrap a vertical piece around about 4 times then cut excess. Repeat this along the length of the wire.....
Grasshopp12
Visit this Community
New Hampshire, United States
entire network: 757 Posts
KitMaker Network: 205 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 23, 2004 - 09:30 AM UTC
Yes, like the stuff you put in your windows to keep bugs out of the house.
keenan
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
entire network: 5,272 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,192 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 23, 2004 - 09:59 AM UTC
Below is a link to a good technique on this very site. I remember it because it was one of the things that really hooked me on the big A. It is time consuming but it does look great when it is finished.

Shaun

https://armorama.kitmaker.net//features/107
mikeli125
Visit this Community
England - North West, United Kingdom
entire network: 2,595 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,079 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 23, 2004 - 10:01 AM UTC
you can buy it as PE not sure who does it think verlinden does some
redaye
Visit this Community
New York, United States
entire network: 123 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 23, 2004 - 10:47 AM UTC
you can make your own barbed wire really cheap. look around your home, office or garage for any old electronic power cord. if you strip back the shielding, there should be some fine stranded copper wire under it. carefully remove the shielding about 12-18 inches. separate the strands. next pick out 2 of the strands and twist them together for the whole length. now pick out another strand of wire, and every 1/8 inch wrap it one and a half times around the twisted pair. cut this wire down to a size that looks right for the barb. if you need wire write me and i'll send loads of it to you.
joe
Cuhail
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
entire network: 2,058 Posts
KitMaker Network: 787 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 23, 2004 - 05:31 PM UTC
O.K., here ya go. Buy a low E guitar string, the one that is wound. Snip the end to the winding and get a pair of pliers(needlenose preferably). Grip the end of the wound wire and pull it away from the core of the string. It should come away from the core in a spring like coil that looks remarkably like brand new barbed wire roll. From one string, you can get about a quarter-mile of B.W. roll.
Here to help
Cuhail
BlueBear
Visit this Community
Idaho, United States
entire network: 414 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 23, 2004 - 08:42 PM UTC
Check with your local hobby shop for Preiser #18337. Its designed for HO scale, so it might be too fine for what you want to use it for. It has instructions for assembling 3 different types of fence or blanket obstructions and 5 different types of barricades of increasing complexity
straightedge
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
entire network: 1,352 Posts
KitMaker Network: 571 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 23, 2004 - 09:01 PM UTC
I just tried it myself, and it seemed to work best for me to get the two twisted wire tight and steady, in some kind of jig, I used my light mounted on the end of the table, and vice grips to hang over the end of the table to pull it tight.
With the one wire do your loop like in the picture and hold your index finger to hold it still while you do your three wrap arounds, then do you next loop with the next proceedure.
I tried it with the tooth pick but never got no where kept coming lose, but with the two twised strands tight then I could twist the loops OK.
Kind of like tying a fly if it isn't held still you have one heck of a time. Hope this helps
 _GOTOTOP