_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General: Advice on...
Need some general advice? Place it here.
guidance for a newbie
LLDavis
Visit this Community
Alabama, United States
entire network: 4 Posts
KitMaker Network: 4 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 03, 2018 - 10:06 AM UTC
Although I have been modeling for years (Mostly trains) I'm pretty much an NFG with model armor. The question is how do you tell a excellent kit/maker from a not so excellent kit/maker? What to look for and what to look past in choosing a kit. What criteria do you use in picking one kit/company over the other? Can somebody give me a heading in the right direction?

L. Lee Davis
ChurchSTSV
Visit this Community
Arizona, United States
entire network: 350 Posts
KitMaker Network: 88 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 03, 2018 - 10:25 AM UTC
When I started again, I had this same questions. You just have to do your research on what you are looking for.

Do you want super detailed kits with interiors? Or kits that are easier but also a good representation of what you want to build.

I look at online reviews, build videos on YouTube, the gallery on Kitmaker, build threads on other modeling websites, etc...

It all depends on your comfort level. What I did was get a not-so-detailed, clearenced kit so I could get back into the motion of painting, practicing air brushing, weathering and how to organize everything.

it just takes time and a little research before you find the kit you really want. Then its probably sold out.
retiredyank
Visit this Community
Arkansas, United States
entire network: 11,610 Posts
KitMaker Network: 3,657 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 03, 2018 - 11:34 AM UTC
Dragon Smart Kits and, to some extent are about the best WWII German armor and Allied vehicles to be found. Tamiya kits are shake-and-bakes, with crisp detail. AFV Club are not to be discounted, rivaling its competitors for detail. Trumpeter are somewhat hit-and-miss, when it comes to accuracy. Academy is hit-and-miss, as well. Italeri kits are generally a nightmare, but good for practice. Hobby Boss produce some nice kits. Meng and Takom are the new kids, on the block. Both produce excellent models, with few shortcomings. Miniart has been around for a while and produces excellent kits. Bronco are fairly new, to me. I have a Chaffee, in my stash but am yet to build it. Revell is about the same quality as Italeri. Zvezda's newer kits are quite nice. I would avoid the older ones, like the plague. Then again, they also make for nice practice kits. This is all just my opinion and there are several manufacturers not listed, because I have no first-hand experience with them. Also, this applies to ground vehicles only.
varanusk
Staff MemberManaging Editor
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
Santa Cruz de Tenerife, Spain / Espaņa
entire network: 1,288 Posts
KitMaker Network: 337 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 03, 2018 - 07:30 PM UTC
While some brands are usually fine and others mostly poor, I would say it is better to focus on individual kits.

As you probably have preferences for a certain vehicle, check who makes it and look for reviews -or ask.
RobinNilsson
Staff MemberDirector of Member Services
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Stockholm, Sweden
entire network: 6,693 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,042 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 03, 2018 - 08:00 PM UTC
As Carlos wrote: Ask around! The Kitmaker forums are a good place to start depending on what type subject you want to model.

I do not think there is such a thing as the best overall kit since it depends so much on the criteria used to make the choice.
Asking about a specific subject will get you very exact answers but many subjects are only produced by one manufacturer.

If you had asked about the best kit of the M551 Sheridan a year ago the answer would have been: Tamiya, but PLEASE choose another subject since the kit is close to awful.
Today the answer would be: Wait for the new release by Tamiya.

Matthew provided a good general listing of manufacturers but be aware that there are some really bad apples in nearly every basket.
/ Robin
LLDavis
Visit this Community
Alabama, United States
Posted: Wednesday, October 03, 2018 - 11:57 PM UTC
Thank you Robbin. I will ask around.

LLD
LLDavis
Visit this Community
Alabama, United States
Posted: Thursday, October 04, 2018 - 12:00 AM UTC
Thank you Matthew for the run down. Its a great help in focusing in and getting a lay of the land so to speak.

LLD
LLDavis
Visit this Community
Alabama, United States
Posted: Thursday, October 04, 2018 - 12:01 AM UTC
Thank you Carlos for the good advice.

LLD
 _GOTOTOP