_GOTOBOTTOM
Tools & Supplies
Discussions on the latest and greatest tools, glues, and gadgets.
Hosted by Matt Leese
Tool Tips
Art
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
entire network: 604 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Monday, March 22, 2004 - 02:37 AM UTC
Here are some things I've picked up over the years, some from necessity, some from inspiration, but mostly cause I'm too cheap to pay for something I can make myself.

DRILLING/CARVING/SANDING

. One of the best sources for free tools is your dentist. He discards some of the best things in the form of picks and burrs. The picks come with a variety of point shapes and are almost like mini sculpting tools. The burrs come in all shapes, a lot of them are diamond impregnated and they will fit all your handpieces (Dremel, etc.). I've had mine for over 25 years, and have even used them to engrave metal.

CHEAP (FREE) ZIMMERIT TOOL

. Tear the cut-off strip from a box of aluminum foil, plastic wrap, etc. and cut it into easy to handle pieces, or glue a strip onto a flat craft stick for a handle. This will give you good ridge detail in your zimmerit and the teeth are just about right for 1/35.

HELPING HANDS

. When you need an extra hand for gluing/painting/soldering, try this:

. Cut a wire hangar into 6"-8" pieces.

. Drill holes the same size as the hangar in a 6" X 6" flat board, but not all the way through. Position the holes where you think you will need them.

. Attach alligator clips by gluing/crimping to one end of each hanger piece. Because the clips have teeth, you might want to file down a couple to use with soft material.

. Place the hangar/clip in whatever position on the board that suits your purpose.

NAIL DRILL

. For nice clean holes without a lot of debris/curling, cut the head off of a small nail or wire brad and chuck that up instead of a bit.

Hope you can use some of these.

Art
 _GOTOTOP