_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General: Advice on...
Need some general advice? Place it here.
Painting ERA armor questions
ivanhoe6
Visit this Community
Wisconsin, United States
entire network: 2,023 Posts
KitMaker Network: 626 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, September 19, 2018 - 02:40 PM UTC
Howdy all.... I'm getting pretty close to completing Takom's Taiwanese CM-11 Brave Tiger or an M-48H with the ERA Blocks. Constructionwise it was an OK build with the same problems that I was reading about in the M-60 build.
Anyhoo, what's your technique for painting armor with ERA blocks?
I'm thinking basecoat the tank without the blocks green and also the backsides of the blocks the green. Then mounting the blocks, masking the areas behind the blocks to prevent overspray and then do my cammo.
OR, paint the complete cammo on the basic tank, add the blocks and try to match the basic cammo on the blocks, masking behind the stand off ERA ? So it's basically the same only different.

I wish that I could put it into better words and have not given anybody a headache trying to figure out what I meant.
THANKS for reading and any advice you can offer !
Tom
timmyp
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
entire network: 496 Posts
KitMaker Network: 90 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, September 19, 2018 - 03:40 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Howdy all.... I'm getting pretty close to completing Takom's Taiwanese CM-11 Brave Tiger or an M-48H with the ERA Blocks. Constructionwise it was an OK build with the same problems that I was reading about in the M-60 build.
Anyhoo, what's your technique for painting armor with ERA blocks?
I'm thinking basecoat the tank without the blocks green and also the backsides of the blocks the green. Then mounting the blocks, masking the areas behind the blocks to prevent overspray and then do my cammo.
OR, paint the complete cammo on the basic tank, add the blocks and try to match the basic cammo on the blocks, masking behind the stand off ERA ? So it's basically the same only different.

I wish that I could put it into better words and have not given anybody a headache trying to figure out what I meant.
THANKS for reading and any advice you can offer !
Tom

OK, so my answer is basically different, but the same.

My first thought is, do you have any reference pictures to help guide you, preferably in color? That way, you could get an idea of what was done in real life. Plus, the ERA will cover things on the tank itself (in real life), thus causing the paint to be sun faded on the blocks, but not the paint underneath (or behind) the blocks.

In the modeling word, I think I would paint the basic camo on the tank, add the ERA, and then try to match the camo to the blocks.

I hope you get a couple of answers on your question, as they could probably help all of us!

Cheers,

Tim
retiredyank
Visit this Community
Arkansas, United States
entire network: 11,610 Posts
KitMaker Network: 3,657 Posts
Posted: Thursday, September 20, 2018 - 12:20 AM UTC
I recently built a T-55 AMV. I sprayed the base color, first. The back of the tiles were done, with black. The base color was dark green, so black was close enough. I then added the tiles and sprayed the base coat to build off of. I did not mask the areas, behind the tiles. But, I did not make an effort to paint over it. This was on a tank bought by Syria. However, it should work with just one intended color.
ivanhoe6
Visit this Community
Wisconsin, United States
Posted: Thursday, September 20, 2018 - 12:32 AM UTC
Thanks Tim ! When I got this kit the LHS was having a "buy 2 and get the third kit free" sale. (I just went for paint & Evergreen plastic) Not knowing a thing about the subject but liking Takom kits I bought it. A little research (Wikipedia) told me that the French GIAT ERA system was too heavy for the suspension and never fielded.

This could give me carte blanche on how I do it. Cammo the tank and paint the ERA system a plain French armor green and call it a test platform. Hmmmm… Maybe !

Thanks again !

ivanhoe6
Visit this Community
Wisconsin, United States
Posted: Thursday, September 20, 2018 - 12:35 AM UTC
Thanks Matt ! Those are good ideas and will save them in the ol' memory banks.
 _GOTOTOP