_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling Questions?
Ask your modeling related questions here.
Your airbrush paint preference
archaicguy70
Visit this Community
Missouri, United States
entire network: 85 Posts
KitMaker Network: 54 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, September 18, 2018 - 09:35 PM UTC
I have started getting back into the hobby after a few years away, had kids so all my other hobbies and them took all my time. Needless to say I am starting to restock supplies. I mainly do armor, figures and aircraft and had always used Tamiya paints in the past but now I'm finding a lot of other options for airbrush paints, weathering, diorama materials etc. that offer a larger variety of colors. I am not a person to over concern myself with being period/time correct, so markings and paint shades are not priority but quality is.

AK, Ammo, Vallejo, Tamiya are all products I'm interested in, I do have Vallejo for my figures but have not tried their air line, I have become quite intrigued with all the products from AK and Ammo, they both offer paints along with washes, filters, pigments, all kinds of goodies- oh hell

What products have you used that have worked well or not and any tips you can offer that you have learned along the way, use of particular thinners, flow improvers etc?

Vicious
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
entire network: 1,517 Posts
KitMaker Network: 309 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, September 18, 2018 - 10:02 PM UTC
I love the Mission Models paints very easy to use nearly no dry tip very forgiving and tough finish no guess when you thin them like skim milk or stuff like that just count the drop and I like the system with the thinner and poly additive,for washes and stuff like that AK or Ammo ,I use also Lifecolors paint but more for brush painting
retiredyank
Visit this Community
Arkansas, United States
entire network: 11,610 Posts
KitMaker Network: 3,657 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, September 18, 2018 - 11:32 PM UTC
I like AK Real Colors. Very fine finish and can be mixed, with any other paint. They dry to a rock-hard finish. Testors/MM acrylics and enamels spray beautifully, as well; as does Tamiya. One thing I take into consideration is how close a match you can achieve, when using a hairy stick.
Tojo72
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
entire network: 4,691 Posts
KitMaker Network: 668 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, September 19, 2018 - 12:08 AM UTC
Vallejo has a great range of colors,I do use them,but there is a learning curve,they work best with their thinner and flow improver.
As mentioned Tamiya and Modelmaster enamels are fantasitic.
I found the AK and Mig also are effective,but practice makes perfect.
I do look forward to trying out Mission once I get back to the bench
jekrott
Visit this Community
Connecticut, United States
entire network: 485 Posts
KitMaker Network: 131 Posts
Posted: Thursday, September 20, 2018 - 12:21 PM UTC
I have completely switched to mission model line of paint,have raised the bar in my eyes they are that good!!!!
Vicious
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
entire network: 1,517 Posts
KitMaker Network: 309 Posts
Posted: Thursday, September 20, 2018 - 12:57 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I have completely switched to mission model line of paint,have raised the bar in my eyes they are that good!!!!

i Quote 100%...until i try them i was i Enamel fundamentalist especially with the AB,only some Lifecolors with the hairystick
varanusk
Staff MemberManaging Editor
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
Santa Cruz de Tenerife, Spain / Espaņa
entire network: 1,288 Posts
KitMaker Network: 337 Posts
Posted: Thursday, September 20, 2018 - 06:50 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Vallejo has a great rangebof colors,I do use them,but there is a learning curve,they work best with their thinner and flow improver.

This is a good point. For some reason everyone praises Mission Models using their proprietary thinner and comparing it with Vallejo/AK/Ammo using water, alcohol or whatever they have at hand. And I don't think it is fair...

I am a regular user of Vallejo without issues.
archaicguy70
Visit this Community
Missouri, United States
entire network: 85 Posts
KitMaker Network: 54 Posts
Posted: Thursday, September 20, 2018 - 09:20 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Vallejo has a great rangebof colors,I do use them,but there is a learning curve,they work best with their thinner and flow improver.

This is a good point. For some reason everyone praises Mission Models using their proprietary thinner and comparing it with Vallejo/AK/Ammo using water, alcohol or whatever they have at hand. And I don't think it is fair...

I am a regular user of Vallejo without issues.

I do have a 16 color set of Vallejo air that I have not tried out yet, was kind of leery because I've heard positives and minuses but guess I'll buy some of their thinner and flow improver and see how it works out for me.

After watching a video review and reading a few others AK Real Colors seems like an incredible line of paint that I'll have to give a try soon.
I did just order up the AK Modern Aircraft set and their thinner for an F-4 I'm getting ready to build. Can't wait to try these out.

Mission models seems to be a brand that has just escaped me, not seen much about them.

I look forward to the day that I can find 1 line of paint that I love and can stick with.
Lada_Niva
Visit this Community
Drenthe, Netherlands
entire network: 177 Posts
KitMaker Network: 77 Posts
Posted: Sunday, October 06, 2019 - 11:39 PM UTC
Currently I'm using Revell enamel paints and revell color mix to thin the paint. Have some bottles of Tamiya paints which are very old laying around. Some of them were still good. Revell has nice enamel paints, but you have to do a lot of mixing with the colors in my experience. That is why I'm now looking for other manufacturers and options that have a wider range of paints, so I don't have to mix as much as before. Why do I not want to mix those colors? Because they have a limited date of storage. After some time they become useless and you can't use them in your airbrush anymore.
southpier
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
entire network: 546 Posts
KitMaker Network: 146 Posts
Posted: Monday, October 07, 2019 - 11:15 AM UTC

Quoted Text

...I look forward to the day that I can find 1 line of paint that I love and can stick with.

YOU control what day that can be!
 _GOTOTOP