_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General
General discussions about modeling topics.
'Britain's sickest toy'
TheLilPeashooter
Visit this Community
Hong Kong S.A.R. / 繁體
entire network: 71 Posts
KitMaker Network: 9 Posts
Posted: Monday, September 10, 2018 - 10:40 PM UTC
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-6147205/Is-Britains-SICKEST-toy.html

No comments.
Tojo72
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
entire network: 4,691 Posts
KitMaker Network: 668 Posts
Posted: Monday, September 10, 2018 - 11:09 PM UTC
Same as a German,Russian,French,Italian,North African,Belgian ruin from WWII,just another diorama accessory,whats the big deal ?
Bravo1102
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
entire network: 2,864 Posts
KitMaker Network: 171 Posts
Posted: Monday, September 10, 2018 - 11:24 PM UTC
They're making a load of assumptions. I remember a number of wrecked buildings marketed for train layouts called "urban renewal " or under construction. There was even one "IRS on fire".

How do they know it's not being demolished for village renewal by the US corps of engineers as actually happens in Afghanistan? Or under construction or repair?

Assume the negative that no doubt fits a political narrative against the coalition actions in that troubled country or whatever.

Such things depend on context whether theres a tank next to it or a bulldozer.

It's a representation in miniature of a partially built or demolished stone building. Whatever else, is solely what the observer brings to it.
Namabiiru
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
MODEL SHIPWRIGHTS
Visit this Community
Rhode Island, United States
entire network: 2,888 Posts
KitMaker Network: 489 Posts
Posted: Monday, September 10, 2018 - 11:37 PM UTC
"Fake news"?

RobinNilsson
Staff MemberDirector of Member Services
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Stockholm, Sweden
entire network: 6,693 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,042 Posts
Posted: Monday, September 10, 2018 - 11:38 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Same as a German,Russian,French,Italian,North African,Belgian ruin from WWII,just another diorama accessory,whats the big deal ?

or any of the machines, on land or in the air, manned or unmanned, which are used to create ruins.
Time to take a look at all the aircraft which reduced European and Japanese cities to ruins.
Go ahead and condemn war and take war out of the human genome first before whining about the effects of war.
If you can't take the sight of blood then get out of the kitchen while the meat is being prepared for dinner.
Don't moan about blood while eating the steak.
If a nation goes to war it goes to war, whining about the by products, i.e. ruins and corpses, afterwards is just idiotic.
Is that what they call "hypocrisy"?

On the other hand: Someone could use this diorama accessory to depict the horrors of war as a sort of anti-war statement.
Challenge given free of charge to any pacifist who wants to accept it

/ Robin
Scarred
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
entire network: 1,792 Posts
KitMaker Network: 482 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, September 11, 2018 - 03:31 AM UTC
I wonder what would happen if they ever browsed a Verlinden catalog?
https://www.ebay.com/p/Verlinden-Productions-1-35-Scale-Bombed-out-Street-Resin-Diorama-House-Kit-2492/665466909

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Verlinden-1-35-Street-Corner-Section-w-Destroyed-Building-Diorama-Base-WWII-426/201851678564?_trkparms=aid%3D222007%26algo%3DSIM.MBE%26ao%3D2%26asc%3D20160323102634%26meid%3D570ee07d98be4a579cc83795232fa0df%26pid%3D100623%26rk%3D1%26rkt%3D2%26mehot%3Dlo%26sd%3D180706560588%26itm%3D201851678564&_trksid=p2047675.c100623.m-1

Others
https://www.michtoy.com/item-PSI-6510-WWII_Bombed_Out_Tall_City_Building.html

retiredyank
Visit this Community
Arkansas, United States
entire network: 11,610 Posts
KitMaker Network: 3,657 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, September 11, 2018 - 04:12 AM UTC
Looks like that would have been a PITA to scratch build.
RobinNilsson
Staff MemberDirector of Member Services
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Stockholm, Sweden
entire network: 6,693 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,042 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, September 11, 2018 - 04:20 AM UTC

Severely "weathered" underwear in need of a washing machine??

Scarred
Visit this Community
entire network: 1,792 Posts
KitMaker Network: 482 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, September 11, 2018 - 04:24 AM UTC

P.S. Still looking for ISIS flag decals.
Klaus-Adler
Staff MemberCampaigns Administrator
MODELGEEK
Visit this Community
Scotland, United Kingdom
entire network: 1,505 Posts
KitMaker Network: 70 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, September 11, 2018 - 04:26 AM UTC
Thanks for reminding me why I don't read the daily mail
Kevlar06
Visit this Community
entire network: 3,670 Posts
KitMaker Network: 527 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, September 11, 2018 - 05:43 AM UTC
Political correctness at its worst. It is a truly sad commentary on the actions of some in media who think there's a story here, and the politicians everywhere who would pick on a model manufacturer instead of getting down to the business of true social injustice. War is hell, we know that. Model and toy manufacturers, artists, even political activists off all kinds and stripes have exploited it for thousands of years for their own purposes. Yet it's not the model manufacturers who pay taxes that will ignore those truly in need, brush-off the murder of innocents, be soft on crime, and claim outrage and offense when they think it suits thier need with "yellow journalism" or "political correctness". I for one doubt the motives of these individuals. Why don't they concentrate on what matters instead of picking out this tiny example of historical reproduction? Would they disdain the depiction of the Blitz in 1940? Or the destruction of Dresden or the Mohn River Dams? I'm not just picking on the Brits alone here-- we have plenty of folk who are revolted at our "history" on this side of the pond--without even knowing what they speak of. Let's let the Historians discuss the "History" involved, and the philosophers philosophize about righteousnoess, and save the "righteous indignation" and "condemnation" for something that really matters-- not some model diorama aid. I personally have no interest in this model, but others may need it or want it to depict accuracy. Personally I find some TV shows and movies more offensive than this. The destruction depicted in them is often more wanton. Where Airfix made thier mistake was labeling this as "Afghan". After all, it's not that the Taliban hasn't done this to their own people. Maybe Airfix would have been better off depicting Isis and Taliban destruction of UNESCO world heritage sites-- would that have been more acceptable to these hypocrites? Sorry for the rant-- in the end I suspect most folks who visit Kitmaker will understand the Daily Mail article and the politics behind it are "Tripe" at its best.
VR, Russ
retiredyank
Visit this Community
Arkansas, United States
entire network: 11,610 Posts
KitMaker Network: 3,657 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, September 11, 2018 - 06:07 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Political correctness at its worst. It is a truly sad commentary on the actions of some in media who think there's a story here, and the politicians everywhere who would pick on a model manufacturer instead of getting down to the business of true social injustice. War is hell, we know that. Model and toy manufacturers, artists, even political activists off all kinds and stripes have exploited it for thousands of years for their own purposes. Yet it's not the model manufacturers who pay taxes that will ignore those truly in need, brush-off the murder of innocents, be soft on crime, and claim outrage and offense when they think it suits thier need with "yellow journalism" or "political correctness". I for one doubt the motives of these individuals. Why don't they concentrate on what matters instead of picking out this tiny example of historical reproduction? Would they disdain the depiction of the Blitz in 1940? Or the destruction of Dresden or the Mohn River Dams? I'm not just picking on the Brits alone here-- we have plenty of folk who are revolted at our "history" on this side of the pond--without even knowing what they speak of. Let's let the Historians discuss the "History" involved, and the philosophers philosophize about righteousnoess, and save the "righteous indignation" and "condemnation" for something that really matters-- not some model diarama aid. I personally have no interest in this model, but others may need it or want it to depict accuracy. Personally I find some TV shows and movies more offensive than this. The destruction depicted in them is often more wanton. Where Airfix made thier mistake was labeling this as "Afghan". After all, it's not that the Taliban hasn't done this to their own people. Maybe Airfix would have been better off depicting Isis and Taliban destruction of UNESCO world heritage sites-- would that have been more acceptable to these hypocrites? Sorry for the rant-- in the end I suspect most folks who visit Kitmaker will understand the Daily Mail article and the politics behind it are "Tripe" at its best.
VR, Russ

Well put.
brekinapez
Visit this Community
Georgia, United States
entire network: 2,272 Posts
KitMaker Network: 134 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, September 11, 2018 - 07:19 AM UTC
At least the readers are calling out the DM in the comment section.

All this virtue signaling by various companies has got to stop; I boycott ones who pull this crap.
CMOT
Staff MemberEditor-in-Chief
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
England - South West, United Kingdom
entire network: 10,954 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,873 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, September 11, 2018 - 07:37 AM UTC
I suspect that it was a slow news day and this story is the result. I would not be surprised if AirFix released a product called 'Afghan Ruin' for sale, but the important part is that I suspect the rest of the story is made up to rattle people and gain viewers.
Invincible
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
entire network: 148 Posts
KitMaker Network: 25 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, September 11, 2018 - 07:48 AM UTC
And to think Britain was once called Great...
Kevlar06
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, September 11, 2018 - 09:11 AM UTC

Quoted Text

And to think Britain was once called Great...

I still think of it that way, and lest you folks in the “Mother Country” feel otherwise, we offspring over here have more than our share of this same “politically correct”. “bologna” followed by a hefty slice of newsroom “cheese” here too. To me, it rivals what’s printed in our “National Inquirer” rag. Not much real news, but a load of what my grandmother called “malarkey”, designed to sell the news. “Huckster” also comes to mind, fitting both the politician and the enabling media.. If only we could learn to tell the truth. By the way, I’m no fan of the current administration in our country, but some of what has been said about the media has some basis, ironic it’s come from an investment actor who knows how to “push buttons” too. I respect freedom of the press, but frankly, it sometimes reminds me of a James Bond movie I saw a few years ago— where sales depend on what the media stirs up on its own. This is a perfect example. Shame on all involved (I guess that includes all of us commenting here too). But Britain is still Great, hopefully always will be.
VR, Russ
Robbd01
Visit this Community
Arizona, United States
entire network: 791 Posts
KitMaker Network: 161 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, September 11, 2018 - 09:21 AM UTC

Quoted Text

"Fake news"?

Was that article timed for today ?

Cheers

Oh then there was this kind tribute (Ya there's still a lot of Great in GB)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xwrX-LN9-L0

Kevlar06
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, September 11, 2018 - 09:43 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

"Fake news"?

Cheers

I guess I'm to old to really understand the term "fake news". What the heck does that term actually mean? On the other hand, I'm old enough to recognize B.S. (bovine scatology) when I see it. "Fake News" is just another term for yellow journalism-- and the current administration also uses it to produce its own brand of "Fake News"-- so in reality, it's a meaningless term for spouting ones propaganda agenda or a convenient term for dismissing a news item one doesn't agree with. But the date has not escaped me, which could be why am so stirred up by this article in the Daily Fail. I guess moreso because I lost a friend and mentor in the Pentagon 17 years ago. I find it strange that he didn't die in combat, having survived the Vietnam war and 30 years of service, only to die by being hit with an airplane comandered by egotistical zealots. So I guess I have no sympathy for stupid politicians feigning an issue over a model of a bombed out Afghan house. Sorry, I'm done commenting now-- my friend would say "get over it".
VR, Russ
brekinapez
Visit this Community
Georgia, United States
entire network: 2,272 Posts
KitMaker Network: 134 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, September 11, 2018 - 10:00 AM UTC
I almost joined your friend. I was at the WTC that day working.
Namabiiru
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
MODEL SHIPWRIGHTS
Visit this Community
Rhode Island, United States
entire network: 2,888 Posts
KitMaker Network: 489 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, September 11, 2018 - 10:06 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

"Fake news"?

Cheers

I guess I'm to old to really understand the term "fake news". What the heck does that term actually mean? On the other hand, I'm old enough to recognize B.S. (bovine scatology) when I see it. "Fake News" is just another term for yellow journalism-- and the current administration also uses it to produce its own brand of "Fake News"-- so in reality, it's a meaningless term for spouting ones propaganda agenda or a convenient term for dismissing a news item one doesn't agree with. But the date has not escaped me, which could be why am so stirred up by this article in the Daily Fail. I guess moreso because I lost a friend and mentor in the Pentagon 17 years ago. I find it strange that he didn't die in combat, having survived the Vietnam war and 30 years of service, only to die by being hit with an airplane comandered by egotistical zealots. So I guess I have no sympathy for stupid politicians feigning an issue over a model of a bombed out Afghan house. Sorry, I'm done commenting now-- my friend would say "get over it".
VR, Russ

My point is this is fake news in its purest sense--it's not news, but a news outlet decided to make it a story anyway. As Darren alluded; whatever it takes to drum up business....

sgtreef
Visit this Community
Oklahoma, United States
entire network: 6,043 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,603 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, September 11, 2018 - 10:16 AM UTC
Yep we are turning into a sorry place, glad I am on the way out.
Hate to see it in another 20 years.
Attacking models now.
firstcircle
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
entire network: 2,249 Posts
KitMaker Network: 198 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, September 11, 2018 - 11:41 AM UTC
I think some have missed the point of the way the Mail presents their stories, politically correct hardly describes that paper by any means, as most in the UK would know. It's a "so and so said this, and someone else said that" type story, and the journo phones a couple more people to get their view, and hey presto it's written itself for pennies.

I actually thought it was quite balanced, and no one actually called for it to be banned.
Kevlar06
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, September 11, 2018 - 12:57 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I think some have missed the point of the way the Mail presents their stories, politically correct hardly describes that paper by any means, as most in the UK would know. It's a "so and so said this, and someone else said that" type story, and the journo phones a couple more people to get their view, and hey presto it's written itself for pennies.

I actually thought it was quite balanced, and no one actually called for it to be banned.

Well, that's why I called it "The Daily Fail" in my post above. As I said I guess I'm a little sensitive on this day.
VR, Russ
dhines
Visit this Community
Nova Scotia, Canada
entire network: 407 Posts
KitMaker Network: 28 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, September 11, 2018 - 11:12 PM UTC
It is hard to believe that this actually qualifies as a story in a newspaper. Whats next, a ban on military figures? Some of these journalists have too much time on their hands.
Invincible
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
entire network: 148 Posts
KitMaker Network: 25 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, September 12, 2018 - 06:40 AM UTC
There's no such thing as a real story for the daily mail, just heaps of meaningless BS.
 _GOTOTOP