_GOTOBOTTOM
Scratchbuilders!: Armor/AFV
This is a group for armor scratchbuilding questions, topics and projects.
Hosted by Mike Kirchoff
What the heck
sgtreef
Visit this Community
Oklahoma, United States
entire network: 6,043 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,603 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 02, 2002 - 03:05 AM UTC
what the heck is this and what does it mean word for word follows

To reduce pressure resulated resulated from contact of the ground, VVSS system incorporates an arm. An arm is allways assembled outside of truck, the VVSS that includes drive sprocket & idler wheel has to be extended outside if the arm is assembled inside of track.

What are they trying to say do I need to raise or move the wheels out plus drive and idler. I wish they would let some people that have knowledge of the English Language write this stuff
Eagle
Visit this Community
Noord-Brabant, Netherlands
entire network: 4,082 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 02, 2002 - 03:13 AM UTC
I you thought that grijze cellen a little bit in de war waren..... #:-) #:-)
GeneralFailure
Visit this Community
European Union
entire network: 2,289 Posts
KitMaker Network: 532 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 02, 2002 - 03:15 AM UTC
Sounds a lot like the assembly manual from a BBQ set that was translated from Korean in to English by a Nepalese translater who learned English in Paramaribo !

Sorry. English is not my mother tongue. I must admit that I have problems understanding technical texts too. Especially for such manuals where translation comes frighteningly close to the caricature situation above. Even if you understand all the individual words, the sentence remains a mistery. No language does that better than English !
GeneralFailure
Visit this Community
European Union
Posted: Tuesday, July 02, 2002 - 03:16 AM UTC
Danny's grijze cellen are not at all in de war ! These must be secret instructions Al Qaeda is trying to pass on to its members through kit assembly instructions !

Jan
GeneralFailure
Visit this Community
European Union
Posted: Tuesday, July 02, 2002 - 03:21 AM UTC

Coming to think of it, Jeff, why post this question on Scratchbuilding forum of all places. We scratchbuilders are dislectic or analphabetic, wordblind and understand no languages other than spoken language. That's why we love scratchbuilding so much : it comes without those dreadful instruction sheets !
Eagle
Visit this Community
Noord-Brabant, Netherlands
entire network: 4,082 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 02, 2002 - 03:25 AM UTC
Scratchbuilding starts with the instructionsheets.....

Insert A in stukje B und put een bit of lijm on the oppervlakte..... It will build some scratch....I'm sure... :-) #:-) :-)
Greg
Visit this Community
Oregon, United States
entire network: 455 Posts
KitMaker Network: 149 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 02, 2002 - 03:30 AM UTC
Jeff, the text is totally cryptic and English is my native language. I wonder if they are trying to describe how the idler is moved to adjust track tension? The idler is mounted on an eccentric shaft, and by using a bloody huge wrench a nut can be turned that turns the eccentric shaft (like a cam lobe). Turning the shaft moves the idler forward or backward to adjust tension. But the rest of the statement about the VVSS doesn't make sense either. I have a feeling that they are talking about how the arms move in relation to the springs themselves. As I understand the mechanism, and this is by no means to be taken as authoritative, it works like this: Bogie wheels are attached at the ends of the suspension arms. Other end of arm is attached to the main bogie truck, inside of which are the vertical volute springs themselves. As the wheel goes over an obstacle, the arm moves and presses against the spring which absorbs the imact. As the obstacle is crossed, the strength of the spring pushes the arm back down to the normal position. Hope this helps...

Greg
sgtreef
Visit this Community
Oklahoma, United States
entire network: 6,043 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,603 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 02, 2002 - 04:09 AM UTC
Thanks for the fast replies guys But this is on the back off the AFV club tracks the M-48 tracks for Sherman. So do I need to move the arms with shims or what the heck never used AFV club tracks like this only Fruil model ones. And A big Thank you to Greg for the explanation on the VVSS suspension. Kind of wild all this torque without breaking all the time. But as an ex mechanic with Uncle sugar and civilain life I can comprende the working off it
GeneralFailure
Visit this Community
European Union
Posted: Tuesday, July 02, 2002 - 04:17 AM UTC

Quoted Text

..... eccentric shaft (like a cam lobe).... statement about the VVSS .... Bogie wheels ... vertical volute springs ...
Greg

ROFL !
Yep. You must be right, Greg. That more or less sounds like a good explanation to me... I think. #:-) I'd better drop my evening classes in Chinese Mandarin and go back to English 1.0.1. I have a lot to learn yet. I wonder if Shakespeare would have understood a modeling instruction sheet !

Jan
 _GOTOTOP