_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling Questions?
Ask your modeling related questions here.
Tamiya XF80
ChurchSTSV
Visit this Community
Arizona, United States
entire network: 350 Posts
KitMaker Network: 88 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, August 29, 2018 - 03:17 AM UTC
So I have a Tamiya question for you all: I recently painted the deck of a ship and over some XF80 and the brush kind of painted more places than I intended. I need to touch up the XF80 parts with a similar color.

Here is my question: Is there a brush friendlier paint I could use? I searched google for some Vallejo or something and it doesn't look like there are any comparable colors.

Failing that, I do have a small amount of XF80 I mixed to AB leftover, can I add some retarder to that and if so, how much. Looking at you, Si.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!
Kevlar06
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
entire network: 3,670 Posts
KitMaker Network: 527 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, August 29, 2018 - 06:53 AM UTC
I've heard lots of folks complaining about the "brushing" qualities of Tamiya paints. I haven't had any trouble bushing Tamiya by thinning the paint with Tamiya proprietary thinner. I usually mix thinner and paint in a 1:1 ratio for brush painting. It dries quickly on the pallet for sure ( I use small white mixing pallets I purchase at Michaels). But it can be easily re-constituted with more thinner, even when allowed to dry for several days. So I see no reason you couldn't use pre-mixed AB Tamiya paint for touch up. However, I would spray a protective coat of Dullcoat over the existing finish so as not to disturb the initial AB coat of Tamiya paint, and depending how thin your paint mixture is (meaning pre-mixed for AB), you may have to apply a couple of coats. Can't you mask and spray the errors as well (or maybe there's too much detail in place?).
VR, Russ
ChurchSTSV
Visit this Community
Arizona, United States
Posted: Wednesday, August 29, 2018 - 07:32 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I've heard lots of folks complaining about the "brushing" qualities of Tamiya paints. I haven't had any trouble bushing Tamiya by thinning the paint with Tamiya proprietary thinner. I usually mix thinner and paint in a 1:1 ratio for brush painting. It dries quickly on the pallet for sure ( I use small white mixing pallets I purchase at Michaels). But it can be easily re-constituted with more thinner, even when allowed to dry for several days. So I see no reason you couldn't use pre-mixed AB Tamiya paint for touch up. However, I would spray a protective coat of Dullcoat over the existing finish so as not to disturb the initial AB coat of Tamiya paint, and depending how thin your paint mixture is (meaning pre-mixed for AB), you may have to apply a couple of coats. Can't you mask and spray the errors as well (or maybe there's too much detail in place?).
VR, Russ

Thanks for your reply!

I mean, I guess I could mask off all of that deck and respray, but I was hoping to avoid it as it is in some tight areas. Its mostly where a bristle of two put some paint on the sides of some structures on the deck. They are small, but to me they are glaring.

I think I will freshen up what was leftover from the AB and try to touch it up a tiny bit. Hopefully, won't look like trash.
timmyp
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
entire network: 496 Posts
KitMaker Network: 90 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, August 29, 2018 - 09:09 AM UTC
Out of curiosity, what size brush are you using? And for that matter, what kind?

Tim
Kevlar06
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
entire network: 3,670 Posts
KitMaker Network: 527 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, August 29, 2018 - 09:17 AM UTC
If it’s just a few brush marks, you should be ok with touching them up with pre-thinned paint, but, as I said, I’d be careful with too thin a paint mixture. You might leave it in a pallet for an hour or so to let the thinner evaporate a little. The more thinner in the paint, the more likelihood you’ll disturb the paint underneath, which might create an even bigger mess. If you give it a quick shot of Testors Dullcoat, sprayed through an AB, and let it dry for a few hours before you start the touch-up work, the paint underneath will be less likely to be disturbed. Then, when you are finished with the model, clear coat the whole thing in Dullcoat, and your “touch ups” will disappear into the final finish. Remembering the qualities of lacquer, enamels and acrylic paints, you can often use one as a barrier over another type of paint. Just as you do in weathering and washes.
VR, Russ
ChurchSTSV
Visit this Community
Arizona, United States
Posted: Wednesday, August 29, 2018 - 09:21 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Out of curiosity, what size brush are you using? And for that matter, what kind?

Tim

I got these:

Found them at HL and used the 10/0 brush. They are pretty nice and comfy in the hand. Added bonus: Won't roll away.

https://www.hobbylobby.com/Crafts-Hobbies/Model-Kits/Paint-Brushes/6-Piece-Round-Liner-Hobby-Brush-Set/p/728

EDIT: Added link
timmyp
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
Posted: Wednesday, August 29, 2018 - 09:52 AM UTC
Wow! A 10/0 brush!! That about qualifies for "2 hairs and some air"! Too bad you had some errant bristles leave their mark.
ChurchSTSV
Visit this Community
Arizona, United States
Posted: Wednesday, August 29, 2018 - 09:59 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Wow! A 10/0 brush!! That about qualifies for "2 hairs and some air"! Too bad you had some errant bristles leave their mark.

Those bad boys cost me just over $3 at HL with their coupon. Plan on using the same brush with the same giant magnifying glass to make some touch ups.
timmyp
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
Posted: Wednesday, August 29, 2018 - 11:10 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Those bad boys cost me just over $3 at HL with their coupon. Plan on using the same brush with the same giant magnifying glass to make some touch ups.

Gotta love those coupons!!
 _GOTOTOP