_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General: AMPS
Topics about AMPS (Armor Model and Preservation Society).
Orochi M3A3 Bradley CFV
tybugg
Visit this Community
California, United States
entire network: 79 Posts
KitMaker Network: 18 Posts
Posted: Monday, August 06, 2018 - 09:27 AM UTC
This past weekend, while at the IPMS Nats in Phoenix, I nabbed an Orochi M3A3 Bradley CFV Deluxe Edition. Got it for only $32. Not bad for a kit with metal tracks and gun barrel included. My question involves who makes the plastic. One guy told me the kit contains Meng's plastic. One online review says Orochi is a subsidiary of Takom. Scalemates suggests it is Kinetic's. The reason I ask, is I want to know will Meng's interior kit for their M3A3 fit in the kit I have. Not having the Meng kit, I can't compare them. Thanks
SgtRam
Staff MemberContributing Writer
AEROSCALE
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
entire network: 3,971 Posts
KitMaker Network: 568 Posts
Posted: Monday, August 06, 2018 - 10:52 AM UTC
From what I remember Orochi was linked to Meng, and it was Kinetic that recently bought the molds fro, Orochi to rebox. I do not believe there is any link to Takom.

HeavyArty
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
entire network: 17,694 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,968 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, August 07, 2018 - 05:58 AM UTC
Kevin is pretty close. Oriochi was its own company with designers who left Meng. The design is similar to Meng's Bradleys, but not exactly the same. The Meng interior will fit into the Orochi hull with a couple mods. The turret is not designed for the Meng interior and will take some work to get it to fit properly though.

Here is a build review I did of the original Orochi release when it first came out.

One mod from the build review.

Kinetic bought the Orochi molds a couple years ago and now offers an updated version that fixed some of the kit's issues (poorly detailed TOW launcher, hollow-backed lights, rear door handle, etc...) and added new T160 tracks.

SgtRam
Staff MemberContributing Writer
AEROSCALE
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
entire network: 3,971 Posts
KitMaker Network: 568 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, August 07, 2018 - 06:22 AM UTC
Thanks Gino! I knew somebody had more details on this.
tybugg
Visit this Community
California, United States
entire network: 79 Posts
KitMaker Network: 18 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, August 07, 2018 - 02:29 PM UTC
Thanks to both of you. That answers my questions.
 _GOTOTOP