_GOTOBOTTOM
Photography
Questions about shooting your models and dioramas? Ask here.
Light Box Instructions
Buckeye198
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
entire network: 596 Posts
KitMaker Network: 94 Posts
Posted: Friday, May 11, 2018 - 02:27 AM UTC
After a decade or so of taking display pictures of finished models on my atrocious workbench, I finally decided to go for a light box. A few options on eBay for around $20 or so, but I don't want to pay that much and I want to have it yesterday. I know there are a bunch of examples of light boxes/light cubes/photo boxes/whatever the hell you want to call them, but I figured I'd share a blog post I found with idiot-proof directions and commentary...seriously I turned my TV on and my mind off while building the box, and it came out just dandy. Of note, this isn't a collapsable box as instructed, but I'm sure you could figure out how to make it so if you really needed the space.
Here's the blog.

An example of my pictures before the box:

And with the box:

Here's the box itself, along with my janky light set-up (two desk lights on the sides, one reading lamp/floor lamp combo for the top, angled into position with help from my chair:

Hopefully this will help someone like me...someone who uses their brain all day and doesn't want to use it anymore when they come home
ScaleDracula
Visit this Community
European Union
entire network: 19 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2 Posts
Posted: Thursday, May 24, 2018 - 05:30 PM UTC
I like your DIY lightbox, Robby. The results are really good.

I used a lightbox myself, but then I realized in a long run it's just to much work to set it up. (unless of course you have enough place to keep it somewhere permanently)
Instead of a lightbox I started to use 2 strong photo bulbs on each side and a top light from my workshop lamp. I covered the bulbs with a white lightbox material to soften the light. Check out the photo.

And here's the result:

It's much faster to take SBS photos that way. I have the white background paper on my desk all the time during work.
 _GOTOTOP