_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General
General discussions about modeling topics.
Donating old Models and Dioramas to Schools!
Neill
Visit this Community
California, United States
entire network: 1,255 Posts
KitMaker Network: 67 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 16, 2004 - 02:22 PM UTC
Most of us are faced with a space crisis - what do I do wiht all those awesome - but old - models or dioramas... the family members do not trully appreciate them for Christmas Gifts... Every YEAR!!!

Consider donating those old models and dioramas to Schools.... particularly Middle Schools and Senior High Schools. Contact the Social Science Department... Right now most of he Classes are in WWII, Korean War or Viet Nam.

The VISUAL AIDS are great for students who are learning about History , any such aids would be appreciated by teachers (like me - US & World History)

My kids get a kick out of my work. Not only do I bring in modelsand dioramam of our Topic, but I have started a time line on the wall (painting policy at my school is "Don't ask, Don't tell!")

So ask around your local school districts... not only great to teach the kids history, but you can go talk to them about modeling too! Great way to get young people invovled in our hobby/passion. Great Education and great PR

I had a Viet Nam Vet come and talk to the students about Nam last year. He was a “Tunnel Rat” and had done a series of Dioramas. The kids were fascinated by him and his work. I had them draw and write about what he had created and his experiences. It was a great learning tool.

Just a thought!

John
www.johnneill.com

Gave this one to a History Teacher I know...

shonen_red
Visit this Community
Metro Manila, Philippines
entire network: 5,762 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,610 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 17, 2004 - 12:37 AM UTC
That idea was cool! Actually, here in the Phlippines, IPMS has plans on conducting exhibits in schools and universities. Well, it's still a plan. Not sure when they'll do it.
MEBM
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
entire network: 1,055 Posts
KitMaker Network: 428 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 17, 2004 - 10:53 AM UTC
I've thought about donating and/or "Taking requests" from teachers.....I think it's a great idea. Thanks for your time.
firemann816
Visit this Community
Alabama, United States
entire network: 790 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 17, 2004 - 01:43 PM UTC
Great idea - and should help expose the hobby to newer generations.

I suggest if the schools seem uninterested try also local church youth groups and or public libraries...

I loved History class, but yours would obviously be a blast...
Tiny
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
entire network: 48 Posts
KitMaker Network: 11 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 17, 2004 - 02:32 PM UTC
This is an excellent idea, I graduated from High school a couple of years ago and still know some of the teachers there. I think i will try this sometime. Thanks for the great idea.

m60a3
Visit this Community
Georgia, United States
entire network: 778 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Thursday, March 18, 2004 - 07:33 AM UTC
This is a great idea. Just be sure that your dio doesn't become "offensive", i.e. glorify combat, focus on the weapons. Many school districts have policies around this (thanks to those two buttwipes in Colorado). My son did a dio for his 3rd grade project on Eisenhower. Before he took it to school, I sent a note to his teacher explaining it (it showed Ike with the Paratroopers before D-Day) and sent an example of the weapons that the soldiers carried. She okayed it after my explanation.
 _GOTOTOP