_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General: Advice on...
Need some general advice? Place it here.
SMS Emden upgrades
babaoriley
Visit this Community
California, United States
entire network: 195 Posts
KitMaker Network: 4 Posts
Posted: Thursday, May 03, 2018 - 11:11 PM UTC
A little birdy told me my wife has the Revell SMS Emden/SMS Dresden duo kit stashed away for a Christmas present for me. So I'm interested in upgrade sets for these kits and I'd like to know if any of you have recent experience of PE, wood deck, flag etc. sets for these kits and can make recommendations. Gold Medal has a PE set but Eduard has two presumably for twice as much detail (at twice the cost). Some other upgrade parts I've seen mentioned (e.g. in an old FineScale Modeler website article) no longer seem to be available. Thanks to anyone who can offer advice on this future project
ChurchSTSV
Visit this Community
Arizona, United States
entire network: 350 Posts
KitMaker Network: 88 Posts
Posted: Thursday, May 03, 2018 - 11:39 PM UTC
Jealous!!

I want that kit!!
Tojo72
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
entire network: 4,691 Posts
KitMaker Network: 668 Posts
Posted: Friday, May 04, 2018 - 12:29 AM UTC
I got the 4.1" guns from Shapeways,they give you the shielded and the open mounts.

babaoriley
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, May 04, 2018 - 04:39 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I got the 4.1" guns from Shapeways,they give you the shielded and the open mounts.

Good tip, thanks.
Black_sheep
Visit this Community
Bayern, Germany
entire network: 823 Posts
KitMaker Network: 11 Posts
Posted: Sunday, May 06, 2018 - 01:03 AM UTC
Doug, I also have this ship and some useful extras you should consider:

- Eduards two etched sets (yes it is not cheap but there are some very useful Details inside which are missing /wrong in the kit

- Artwox AW10045 is the wooden deck for the Emden. Not easy to find but the best looking

- As Anthony mentioned there are the shipīs main guns offered by Shapeways and you NEED to have these as they are big improvement to the kitīs ones

- There are also the searchlights offered by shapeways for this specific ship. Also a nice improvement

- Alliance Modelworks offers small shipbells in its set NW35084. As you can clearly see Emdenīs shipbell this is a nice to have, too.

- If you feel this is not enough you could also get yourself the decal set Peddinghaus 1/350 3444 SMS kleiner Kreuzer Emden

This is what I (almost all) have in stock for my ship.

Cheers

babaoriley
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, May 21, 2018 - 10:45 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Doug, I also have this ship and some useful extras you should consider:

- Eduards two etched sets (yes it is not cheap but there are some very useful Details inside which are missing /wrong in the kit

- Artwox AW10045 is the wooden deck for the Emden. Not easy to find but the best looking

- As Anthony mentioned there are the shipīs main guns offered by Shapeways and you NEED to have these as they are big improvement to the kitīs ones

- There are also the searchlights offered by shapeways for this specific ship. Also a nice improvement

- Alliance Modelworks offers small shipbells in its set NW35084. As you can clearly see Emdenīs shipbell this is a nice to have, too.

- If you feel this is not enough you could also get yourself the decal set Peddinghaus 1/350 3444 SMS kleiner Kreuzer Emden

This is what I (almost all) have in stock for my ship.

Cheers

Thanks for the tips. I already have the Shapeways guns and searchlights, they're not cheap but they look great. I assume the Eduard PE sets will also be good, I was just wondering if they were massively better than the Gold Medal set. I'm leaning towards the pre-war paint scheme, so that should mean the linoleum decking would be appropriate (my understanding is it was stripped away in wartime for fire prevention)--I'm not yet sure which portions of the deck should be wood so I have more research to do. I hope my wife remembers to wrap this kit and put it under the Christmas tree!

Thanks again.
 _GOTOTOP