TV, Movies, and Games
Talk about TV, Movies, Gaming or anything entertainment related.
The Great Escape
Teacher
Visit this Community
England - North West, United Kingdom
entire network: 4,924 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 16, 2004 - 05:33 AM UTC
Just been watching a chat show showing the guy who went back and found the original tunnel 'Dick' from the Great Escape. Apparently the Germans never found it. They even found some original artifacts inside it! This will be amazing TV. If you can get Channel 5 (UK) then you have to watch it! 9.00 p.m. Wednesday evening!

Vinnie
Halfyank
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
entire network: 5,221 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,983 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 16, 2004 - 04:11 PM UTC
Arggg! I love hearing about The Great Escape. I hope they show this on US TV, probably PBS.

Halfyank
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
entire network: 5,221 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,983 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 17, 2004 - 06:17 AM UTC
Vinnie, do you have any more info on this? As I remember from the Paul Brickhill book they found the tunnel that was actually used in the escape. I seem to remember that they couldn't crush the tunnels like they were used to doing, the tunnels had been built too deep and too well. I thought they had to pump waste from the latrines down the tunnel to render it useless.

Teacher
Visit this Community
entire network: 4,924 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Thursday, March 18, 2004 - 04:22 AM UTC
Sorry Halfyank, no info as yet since I haven't watched it, taped it instead. Dick wasn't an escape tunnel it was the third tunnel which was abandoned and all effort put into Tom and Harry. Dick was instead used for storing contraband and never was discovered by the Germans.

Vinnie
mikeli125
Visit this Community
entire network: 2,595 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,079 Posts
Posted: Thursday, March 18, 2004 - 05:49 AM UTC
it was pretty good found some old cans from the home made bellows and little lantern holders as well as the concrete trap door and lifting device just like in the film, they also found a fake rubber stamp used in making the forged id passes doesnt sem to be much of the camp there now all overgrown with pine trees