_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General: Advice on...
Need some general advice? Place it here.
need help with a spray painting problem
boatswain
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
entire network: 53 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Monday, March 15, 2004 - 11:25 PM UTC
So, I am in the middle of building the Polar Lights Enterprise for my wife (she is a HUGE Star Trek nut) and I am up to the point of painting sub assemblies of the model using Testor's Model Master spray paints, ( I know, an airbrush would be better, just not in my modeling budget right now) when one of the cans that I have been using suddenly freaks out and starts spitting out large blobs of paint onto the model, effectively ruining whatever progress I had already made.

Now, I know that I can just strip the paint off with oven cleaner and start over again, but what I want to know is how I can avoid this happening again?
I always make sure to thoroughly shake the paint before I spray, and I even do a test spray before hand just to make sure it is mixed properly. Was this just a fluke, possibly a bad spray can?

Any ideas on this would be appreciated-

Thanks!

Now off to the store for some oven cleaner....
warlock0322
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
entire network: 1,036 Posts
KitMaker Network: 152 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 16, 2004 - 12:10 AM UTC
Nope it not a fluke. Sometime when using the rattle cans the paint can dry on the nozzel. Thus when you press it the blob wil lrear its ugly head.
I used alot of these when I didn't have an A/B.. So I know the feeling. The only thing I can suggest to you is. Keep an eye on the nozzel. When you start to see a build up of paint take it off the can and clean it in some thinner.. Then tip the can upside down and do a couple of short sprays to clear the thinner out.. The resume the spraying..
I haven't used them in a while but that is what I used to do when I did..

Hope this helps

Paul
boatswain
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
entire network: 53 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 17, 2004 - 12:15 AM UTC
Thanks Paul!

Never thought about cleaning out the nozzles on my spray cans, although it kind of makes sense to do so. I suppose it's the same as cleaning your paint bruishes after you use them.

_GOTOTOP