General items for sale by poster.
FS General Question to Shrink Collection
archangel571
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
entire network: 13 Posts
KitMaker Network: 11 Posts
Posted: Monday, April 16, 2018 - 10:36 PM UTC
Hi guys. I always tried to tell myself I am a builder not collector and somehow accumulated a few thousand kits in different genres over the last twenty years, mainly Tamiya, Dragon, and Trumpeter kits. The genre ended up expanding from motorcycles, formula one cars, plane, to an excessive amount of armor kits. Getting married soon so I really don't see myself being able to get through them.

The question is how likely would people buy a few hundred kits in bulk to build up say an instant retirement stash? It would make it so much quicker for me to sever from the collection as I think we all know how hard it is sometimes to separate from kits that you have invested so much time and research before deciding to shell out the money. Trying to not quit the hobby and just shrink the collection by 80 to 90% makes it even harder.

Anyway, your opinion would be greatly appreciated. Soon as the wedding is done, I will be listing the kits in excel and posting them online.

-Ryan
HeavyArty
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
entire network: 17,694 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,968 Posts
Posted: Monday, April 16, 2018 - 11:25 PM UTC
Most individuals will not buy a large lot of kits, but individual kits that they may be looking for.

If you want to sell them as a large, single lot, your best bet is to contact some of the vendors you see at shows. Many of them deal in older kits and are always looking to increase their inventory. They may only offer you a small percentage of what they are worth though.
Mortifa
Visit this Community
British Columbia, Canada
entire network: 267 Posts
KitMaker Network: 45 Posts
Posted: Monday, April 16, 2018 - 11:31 PM UTC
Look at Lots of Models, here is their site.

https://lots-of-models.com/

They will buy stashes, or case lots.

I have seen a few on ebay and generally they seem to be some sort of weird mish mash of kits, like a PzII, Pz III, PZ IV and then a M60. It is like they cannot see that a group lot like that would be better served by keeping kits that would be seen around each other.
archangel571
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, April 17, 2018 - 12:08 AM UTC
Oh wow, I didn't know they even have a site. I have been getting some kits, Meng ones, from them on Amazon. Will try my luck. Thank you. Mine is going to be like 15 Dragon Tiger Is.

Quoted Text

I have seen a few on ebay and generally they seem to be some sort of weird mish mash of kits, like a PzII, Pz III, PZ IV and then a M60. It is like they cannot see that a group lot like that would be better served by keeping kits that would be seen around each other.

archangel571
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, April 17, 2018 - 12:15 AM UTC
Oh hey Gino! I remember you from FSM forum back like... 2005, 06?! How have you been? As I recall, you have a decent stash too right? Any tips on maybe how to cope with it? I should still shed a lot of the load though.

Quoted Text

Most individuals will not buy a large lot of kits, but individual kits that they may be looking for.

If you want to sell them as a large, single lot, your best bet is to contact some of the vendors you see at shows. Many of them deal in older kits and are always looking to increase their inventory. They may only offer you a small percentage of what they are worth though.

Mortifa
Visit this Community
British Columbia, Canada
entire network: 267 Posts
KitMaker Network: 45 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 17, 2018 - 01:11 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Oh wow, I didn't know they even have a site. I have been getting some kits, Meng ones, from them on Amazon. Will try my luck. Thank you. Mine is going to be like 15 Dragon Tiger Is.

Quoted Text

Well that is actually something, 15 Tigers, that would be, to me, appealing, maybe not that many, but you get what I mean.

Great store btw, nothing but good things to say about them.
jojo1010
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
entire network: 72 Posts
KitMaker Network: 73 Posts
Posted: Thursday, April 26, 2018 - 08:46 PM UTC
Can I send you my list. Maybe you have multiple items I can help with.
Kolvir
Visit this Community
Iowa, United States
entire network: 23 Posts
KitMaker Network: 16 Posts
Posted: Friday, April 27, 2018 - 03:11 AM UTC
Just speaking for myself...

I have a small stash and haven't been back in the hobby that long since I was a kid, so I would look at a big kit purchase. However, if I was buying a huge lot with a diverse selection of stuff that I wouldn't necessarily buy individually, I would expect to get a really good deal in terms of price per kit.
 _GOTOTOP