_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General
General discussions about modeling topics.
Abrasive heaven
Scarred
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
entire network: 1,792 Posts
KitMaker Network: 482 Posts
Posted: Thursday, April 12, 2018 - 11:07 AM UTC
It's prom time up here, that time of year when high school kids get ready for the biggest dance of the year. I'm taking the girl child around town looking for the finishing touches to her dress and she wants to stop at a local beauty supply store. I sigh saying it's not my type of place but okay. So we're in the store and she is talking to the store clerk who shows her to the makeup section and I'm just tagging along the only thing I can contribute to this whole affair is my money. They are going over all the different styles and the look the kid is going for and I glance over my shoulder and there are racks of fingernail polish. Not my thing but I point it out to the girl. I then notice the rack of files, fingernail clippers, tweezers and other implements of destruction when I notice the display of sanding sticks that made me say hmmmm. There were grits ranging from coarse enough to strip armor plating to fine enough to polish plastic to a high sheen. And not just boards but sponges of all different shapes, sizes, grits and the best thing? The Prices!!! I'm standing there pondering what I need vs what I want when a guy walks in walks up beside me, says excuse me, grabs several different items and the clerk goes and takes his cash and he leaves with a smile on his face. So the girl makes her selection of warpaint, I make my selection of abrasive items and head for the register. The clerk takes my money she comments on the sanding items and I say "I build models and I got thru a lot of different sanding sticks". She started to laugh and says the guy who was just in here does the same thing and is in there all the time.

Why has nobody mentioned this before? No more waiting for a shipment in the mail, no more ridiculous prices (not that they are really expensive anyway) but a bigger selection than I've seen in any hobby shop. So if you got a beauty supply shop in your home town, check it out. If you need to take your spouse or girl child to make you feel less weird about going into a beauty supply shop then do it. You might find something you need, want or gotta have.
RobinNilsson
Staff MemberDirector of Member Services
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Stockholm, Sweden
entire network: 6,693 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,042 Posts
Posted: Thursday, April 12, 2018 - 12:23 PM UTC
Some modeler wrote about this many years ago, some discussion about alternative sources for tools and materials.
He mentioned standing in queue to pay for all the powders, errr weathering pigments, sanding sticks and other stuff he had stocked up on. One of the other customers commented on a man shopping for ladies stuff. He answered that it was for his models and immediately got a crowd around him interested in becoming models ...

There is more stuff in the beauty shops than just the sanding sticks

/ Robin
timmyp
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
entire network: 496 Posts
KitMaker Network: 90 Posts
Posted: Thursday, April 12, 2018 - 12:52 PM UTC

Quoted Text

It's prom time up here, that time of year when high school kids get ready for the biggest dance of the year. I'm taking the girl child around town looking for the finishing touches to her dress and she wants to stop at a local beauty supply store. I sigh saying it's not my type of place but okay. So we're in the store and she is talking to the store clerk who shows her to the makeup section and I'm just tagging along the only thing I can contribute to this whole affair is my money. They are going over all the different styles and the look the kid is going for and I glance over my shoulder and there are racks of fingernail polish. Not my thing but I point it out to the girl. I then notice the rack of files, fingernail clippers, tweezers and other implements of destruction when I notice the display of sanding sticks that made me say hmmmm. There were grits ranging from coarse enough to strip armor plating to fine enough to polish plastic to a high sheen. And not just boards but sponges of all different shapes, sizes, grits and the best thing? The Prices!!! I'm standing there pondering what I need vs what I want when a guy walks in walks up beside me, says excuse me, grabs several different items and the clerk goes and takes his cash and he leaves with a smile on his face. So the girl makes her selection of warpaint, I make my selection of abrasive items and head for the register. The clerk takes my money she comments on the sanding items and I say "I build models and I got thru a lot of different sanding sticks". She started to laugh and says the guy who was just in here does the same thing and is in there all the time.

Why has nobody mentioned this before? No more waiting for a shipment in the mail, no more ridiculous prices (not that they are really expensive anyway) but a bigger selection than I've seen in any hobby shop. So if you got a beauty supply shop in your home town, check it out. If you need to take your spouse or girl child to make you feel less weird about going into a beauty supply shop then do it. You might find something you need, want or gotta have.

Ha Ha!! "Warpaint"?? Hmmm, I wonder what the #MeToo crowd would say!

I use emery boards as one kind of sanding stick - they're coarse on one side, and fine on the other. For smaller sanding sticks, I cut popsicle sticks in half lengthwise, then glue a small piece of sandpaper to the end (I have one tick with 400 grit paper on it, and the other has 800 grit). I bought those two sandpaper grits from Home Depot; you can get 3 or 4 sheets in 8x10 size, for about 6 bucks apiece. That much paper should last a while!

Likewise, you can probably get a brush that's equivalent to 4 ought size for a lot less than the art or hobby store might be selling it for.

Happy spending!!
retiredyank
Visit this Community
Arkansas, United States
entire network: 11,610 Posts
KitMaker Network: 3,657 Posts
Posted: Thursday, April 12, 2018 - 03:28 PM UTC
I buy my emery boards, from the dollar store. I just picked up three different grits and some of those metal nail files(work great if you glue a piece of metal strip to one side). I've been consider using make-up powders for figures.
VintageRPM
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
entire network: 300 Posts
KitMaker Network: 80 Posts
Posted: Friday, April 13, 2018 - 02:08 AM UTC
And the car guys have been spray painting with nail polish for years.
SSGToms
Visit this Community
Connecticut, United States
entire network: 3,608 Posts
KitMaker Network: 512 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 08, 2018 - 08:07 AM UTC
I've been buying nail sanding sticks from 60 - 1000 grit for $1 each for years. Can't beat 'em!
brekinapez
Visit this Community
Georgia, United States
entire network: 2,272 Posts
KitMaker Network: 134 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 08, 2018 - 08:28 AM UTC
I use my wife's discount at Sally Beauty Supply for sanding materials. Some of the manicuring tools are cheap engravers as well. There's a number of things you can find in the salon shop.

In addition to Home Depot, smaller hardware outlets like Ace Hardware often have smaller grits than 800. I got several sheets of 1500/2000 for polishing for less than 25 cents each, I think.

And do you shop the jewelry-making aisle at arts & craft stores for your fine wires, threads, and chains?
 _GOTOTOP