_GOTOBOTTOM
Tips & Tricks
Ask about and post about tips and tricks you use while modelling.
Question on washes
ChurchSTSV
Visit this Community
Arizona, United States
entire network: 350 Posts
KitMaker Network: 88 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, April 11, 2018 - 12:41 AM UTC
So I have been scouring the internet looking at washes and this is my most trusted source.

I am starting to AB with Tamiya (Acrylic) and then finish it off with some future I found (Also Acrylic) and then I wanted to do some washes. I have seen some washes in a bottle, i.e. Tamiya, MIG, Vallejo, etc. This is my question:

If I use all these Acrylics, wont they all wipe off when I am trying to clean the excess wash?

For example: I paint a deck and coat it in future. I use Tamiya Panel Accent to test it out. it gets everywhere. I use a q-tip covered in X-20A to clean it up, won't it eat right through all my previously mentioned hard work?
RobinNilsson
Staff MemberDirector of Member Services
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Stockholm, Sweden
entire network: 6,693 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,042 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, April 11, 2018 - 01:35 AM UTC
The old fashioned "house hold" trick was to use a different type of "paint" for the washes: acrylics over enamels or the other way around.
Some of the thinners used for enamels will eat straight through acrylics.
The only way to be certain is to test on some scrap plastic first. Take some styrene sheet and scratch it up with a 40 or 80 grit sandpaper to get something a little bit more interesting than a smooth surface and then paint and wash the way you had planned. If it fails you try another method.

Oil paints, as in tubes used by artists, can be used for washes since they can be diluted with white spirit (less aggressive than the chemicals used for enamels). A tube will last you a lifetime since so very little is used for each wash

You mentioned Future. Read the instructions carefully. If memory doesn't fail me it says that the old polish on the floor gets taken off or blended into the new layer so I think that Future will attack the paintjob if you start rubbing it around.

The few times I have done washes I took the liquid from the jar I used for washing paint brushes. It was a little bit too aggressive for Tamiya "acrylics", nearly took everything off .. but the wash got a good grip on the paint underneath.
/ Robin
ChurchSTSV
Visit this Community
Arizona, United States
Posted: Wednesday, April 11, 2018 - 01:47 AM UTC
Thanks, Robin

You always answer all of my rookie questions and I really do appreciate it.

I was reading that MIG washes are enamel based so I think I may try them out. They say that they are pre-mixed for washes to that way I just have to clean up the excess.
ChurchSTSV
Visit this Community
Arizona, United States
Posted: Wednesday, April 11, 2018 - 02:32 AM UTC
So is the Tamiya Panel Line stuff acrylic or enamel? I can't seem to find out.

Ifs its enamel, that's a bonus!!
ChurchSTSV
Visit this Community
Arizona, United States
Posted: Wednesday, April 11, 2018 - 02:46 AM UTC

Quoted Text

So is the Tamiya Panel Line stuff acrylic or enamel? I can't seem to find out.

Ifs its enamel, that's a bonus!!

After some digging, it appears to be enamel based. Excellent!! I am gonna try this stuff our on my test ship to see if I can make a decent deck with it.
retiredyank
Visit this Community
Arkansas, United States
entire network: 11,610 Posts
KitMaker Network: 3,657 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, April 11, 2018 - 04:50 AM UTC
I recommend oils. You can use them, on a flat finish. For use as a pin wash, I apply them over a few coats of Future. They are not too expensive and easy to mix to achieve the desired effect. Also, they are workable for hours. The drawback is a long cure time.
 _GOTOTOP