Discuss general weathering topics here.
Wash Problem
Easy_Co
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
entire network: 1,933 Posts
KitMaker Network: 814 Posts
Posted: Monday, March 15, 2004 - 08:07 AM UTC
I just put a wash on my duce & half , made from enamel paint and whit spirit, after applying the wash I sat back to admire my masterpiece when the petrol tank fell off followed by one of the cargo bed sides then the radiator cover. the glue (humbrol Liquid poly ) had just dissolved,anyone else had this problem.
zer0_co0l
Visit this Community
Limburg, Netherlands
entire network: 1,432 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Monday, March 15, 2004 - 08:10 AM UTC
hiya johnny did you remember to put a coat of varnish on it before you did the wash?

and what you could try. *atleast this is what I do* when I spray something in humbrol enamel I wash with oil paints or acrylic so it doesnt react to one another.

and always varnish it before the washes.

I once had it that the doors etc fell off, since I varnish no more problems.

hope this helps .

Plasticbattle
Visit this Community
Donegal, Ireland
entire network: 9,763 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,351 Posts
Posted: Monday, March 15, 2004 - 08:25 AM UTC
I have always painted with humbrols, and then washed with humbrols own enamel thinner and humbrols and/or oils. I just left it for 3 days to cure and never bothered about a varnish/clear cote. Never had a problem. Then I tried balsamic terpentine and the same thing as you happened .... wheels and parts fell of my Sherman.
Although a varnish may have helped ... Im never taking the chance again. Humbrols enamel thinner for washes in the future. Gives great results, is very mild, skip the varnish cote and a few pennys extra for a wash .... stressless.
GSPatton
Visit this Community
California, United States
entire network: 1,411 Posts
KitMaker Network: 785 Posts
Posted: Monday, March 15, 2004 - 08:41 AM UTC
I have read these stories time and time again. The use of spirits as thinner for a wash, applying the wash and watching in horror as the model dissolves. Personally, I use acrylics and alcohol for my wash. I mix the alcohol with a little india ink (black or brown) to tint and then add burnt umber for my wash. I have also achieved great effects using sand or "mud" colors to effect those substances on my AFV's.
KellyZak
Visit this Community
British Columbia, Canada
entire network: 641 Posts
KitMaker Network: 113 Posts
Posted: Monday, March 15, 2004 - 08:46 AM UTC
I would try (if you have access) artist oils for a wash, and I use a non toxic artist oil thinner/brush cleaner to thin the oils, and cover the whole vehicle. No varnish/clear coats except only where a decal may go. Then Humbrol flat varnish to seal, then weathered with pastels, and mig pigments. I believe the thinner I use is called Safe Way Artist Oil/Brush Cleaner/Thinner. No smell, and it won't eat the plastic. It's the only way I go now... :-)
mikeli125
Visit this Community
England - North West, United Kingdom
entire network: 2,595 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,079 Posts
Posted: Monday, March 15, 2004 - 09:09 AM UTC
I've had the same probs before even when using klear and varnish pits you right off and makes grown men want to cry!
Easy_Co
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
entire network: 1,933 Posts
KitMaker Network: 814 Posts
Posted: Monday, March 15, 2004 - 11:13 AM UTC
Thanks for the replys and tips, I had painted it in acrylics so it wouldnt react,might give the acrylic wash a try next time :-)
 _GOTOTOP