_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General
General discussions about modeling topics.
Barbarossa Books - courier collection fee?
Wingtsun
Visit this Community
British Columbia, Canada
entire network: 295 Posts
KitMaker Network: 34 Posts
Posted: Thursday, March 29, 2018 - 06:58 AM UTC
Today I picked up from the post office a book which I ordered from Barbarossa Books in the UK on/about March 2/3. Canada Post charged me $8.98 CAD "Courier Collection Service " fee. This fee was never mentioned on Barbarossa Books website. I paid for the book plus the postage. Does anyone know what exactly this charge is? Canada Post said it is not any customs fee. I have written to Barbarossa Books to inquire. I don't expect a reply from the vendor until after the Easter long weekend.
Scarred
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
entire network: 1,792 Posts
KitMaker Network: 482 Posts
Posted: Thursday, March 29, 2018 - 08:55 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Today I picked up from the post office a book which I ordered from Barbarossa Books in the UK on/about March 2/3. Canada Post charged me $8.98 CAD "Courier Collection Service " fee. This fee was never mentioned on Barbarossa Books website. I paid for the book plus the postage. Does anyone know what exactly this charge is? Canada Post said it is not any customs fee. I have written to Barbarossa Books to inquire. I don't expect a reply from the vendor until after the Easter long weekend.

https://www.canadapost.ca/web/en/kb/details.page?article=how_to_send_and_rece&cattype=kb&cat=sending&subcat=generalinformation

Buying something C.O.D. here in the states costs more than paying at the point of sale. You pay postage, fees, and anything else they can think of and it seems they make those fees up on the spot to take more of your money.
Wingtsun
Visit this Community
British Columbia, Canada
Posted: Thursday, March 29, 2018 - 11:04 AM UTC
But I paid for the merchandise to Barbarossa Books I work in shipping so I fully understand the concept. The post office said the charge was collected on someone's behalf. Not for customs and not postal charges. This is a first time I paid this kind of fee. It is suspicious
Scarred
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
entire network: 1,792 Posts
KitMaker Network: 482 Posts
Posted: Thursday, March 29, 2018 - 11:34 AM UTC
Yeah that's weird. I've been watching the issues with Canadian postal fees for the past couple of years and it seems to me that they should scrap the whole thing and start over. All fees should be CLEARLY listed and not hidden in legal jargon so you can get an accurate cost on shipping both national and international.
Wingtsun
Visit this Community
British Columbia, Canada
Posted: Monday, April 09, 2018 - 09:58 AM UTC
Finally got an understanding of what the $9 COD charge was about. The book was shipped from the UK by a courier service (Landmark). Landmark moved their parcels to my province in Canada and gave it to Canada Post to make final delivery. The $9 fee collected by Canada Post was for the Goods & Services tax (about $6.50) on the GBP60 value of the book plus a small handling charge about $2.50. $2.50 customs handling fee is a bargain compared to what Canada Post and especially UPS would charge to the recipient.
retiredyank
Visit this Community
Arkansas, United States
entire network: 11,610 Posts
KitMaker Network: 3,657 Posts
Posted: Monday, April 09, 2018 - 02:39 PM UTC
A bit off topic, but I encountered postal woes, in Florida, USA. In one instance, I got a shipping quote. The next day, I shipped the package. They charged me $3 more, due to "the weight of the ink". That was just one of many times the post office made up a price, on the spot. After moving to a different state, I have had no problems.
 _GOTOTOP