_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General
General discussions about modeling topics.
MH53J pics
SF-07-18D
Visit this Community
Madrid, Spain / Espaņa
entire network: 366 Posts
KitMaker Network: 8 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 27, 2018 - 08:49 PM UTC
Hi gents!

Iīm already thinking about my next project, and itīs intended to be a small vignette with an USAF MH-53J under maintenance.

Do you know where can I find some pics of that helo under maintenance?? Iīd like to check the base coat (I guess itīs zinc chromate) to paint different colours on the airframe.

Iīve searched the net but nothing useful.

Thanks in advance!!
18Bravo
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
entire network: 7,219 Posts
KitMaker Network: 981 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 28, 2018 - 04:11 AM UTC
These photos from my walkaround show some zinc chromate, some areas gray. At any rate, I think you'll find them useful.

[/url]

SF-07-18D
Visit this Community
Madrid, Spain / Espaņa
Posted: Wednesday, March 28, 2018 - 11:51 AM UTC
Rob, thanks for these pics!! These are useful indeed, as always.

Let's see what can I do, I have no upgrade parts for the kit I have, so I guess I won't be able to leave engines or maintenance panels opened.

Thanks again, Rob, very appreciated.
18Bravo
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
entire network: 7,219 Posts
KitMaker Network: 981 Posts
Posted: Thursday, March 29, 2018 - 02:24 AM UTC
That's not necessarily a show stopper. There's a reason Shep Paine was one of the greatest modelers ever - Gizmology is what he called it. You don't need a 100% balls on dead accurate representation of the engine. You can show a glimpse of it as a technician opens the panel. Using a 1/48 scale, or more likely, a 1/72 scale jet engine to fill in some space that is largely unseen will suffice nicely. Of course you can add detail to it if you want. The ducting on the above photos doesn't look particularly difficult. If anyone spends more time analyzing the accuracy of a partially displayed engine than appreciating the overall theme of the dio, then perhaps professional help would be in order.
At any rate, I"ll send the rest of that walkaround - maybe you'll get more ideas.
SF-07-18D
Visit this Community
Madrid, Spain / Espaņa
Posted: Thursday, March 29, 2018 - 01:36 PM UTC
Hi Rob.

I've received the walkaround, thanks!!

I'll take a look on the cellphone and I'll download on the PC later.

Maybe it's a good idea to get some engine that fits on the engine bay, as the helo is 1/72 I think it won't be very difficult.

Anyway, I don't want to make a messy project, just two or three kinds of painting and some opened panel. As I couldn't find any PE kit for this helicopter I have no much room for improvements.

Thanks again!
 _GOTOTOP