_GOTOBOTTOM
Tools & Supplies
Discussions on the latest and greatest tools, glues, and gadgets.
Hosted by Matt Leese
I had a dream the other night
RobinNilsson
Staff MemberDirector of Member Services
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Stockholm, Sweden
entire network: 6,693 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,042 Posts
Posted: Saturday, March 24, 2018 - 06:43 PM UTC
I dreamed that I had found an envelope from some american manufacturer which contained thin aluminum sheet. About a millimetre or .05 inch thick and coated with copper on both sides. The skin of copper was thick enough the be solderable (with tin and electric soldering iron).

I thought that this would be a nice material for scratchbuilding. Light and fairly soft, like aluminum, and solderable like copper, which aluminum isn't.
Since the two metals were attached to each other with a good bond metallic bond (not glued ...) it was possible to bend and stretch the sheets.

I tried googling and found some chinese manufacturer but their thinnest sheets were a few millimetres thick so it wasn't really what I had dreamt of. The minimum order was 1 ton which is a liiittle more than I will ever need ....

/ Robin
Vicious
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
entire network: 1,517 Posts
KitMaker Network: 309 Posts
Posted: Sunday, March 25, 2018 - 03:55 AM UTC

Quoted Text

...The minimum order was 1 ton which is a liiittle more than I will ever need ....

/ Robin

There is a trick for that, it does not always work but it does not hurt, you explain that you are interested in its product and blablabla and after you ask for a sample...
Kevlar06
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
entire network: 3,670 Posts
KitMaker Network: 527 Posts
Posted: Sunday, March 25, 2018 - 04:10 AM UTC
Why don't you just buy some K&S copper or brass sheet in .05mm thickness? Not "stretchable", but after annealing, it becomes quite bendable.
VR, Russ
YellowHammer
Visit this Community
Alabama, United States
entire network: 554 Posts
KitMaker Network: 129 Posts
Posted: Sunday, March 25, 2018 - 04:13 AM UTC
Hi Russ,
Have you looked in the metal arts section of craft stores. I've seen several types of aluminum and copper sheets and foils at Hobby Lobby. Don't know about about their soldering properties though.
HTH
John
Kevlar06
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
entire network: 3,670 Posts
KitMaker Network: 527 Posts
Posted: Sunday, March 25, 2018 - 04:40 AM UTC
John,
Yes, I've seen the foil packets they sell at both Michaels and Hobby Lobby. They are primarily for burnishing onto 2D and 3D artwork, and are sometimes adhesive backed. I bought some a few years back and used it to semi-successfully "plate" some metal landing gear for an aircraft model, with copious amounts of Micro-scale foil adhesive, which reduced the effect somewhat. These foils are much to thin for soldering though, and will burn through at even low temps. K&S brass makes aluminum, brass and copper sheet selections in various thicknesses, the finest of which are solder-able for the brass and copper sheet. After annealing, you can actually stick a pin through the thinnest copper sheet.
VR, Russ
120mmSniper
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
entire network: 157 Posts
KitMaker Network: 55 Posts
Posted: Sunday, March 25, 2018 - 09:55 AM UTC
Get some sheet copper or brass from a different supplier. Something that is thicker and easier to work. Here is an in-progress photo of a stretched hood for a 1/8 scale '32 Ford, shown with the kit part, the hammer used to pound it out, and the slab of steel used as an anvil.

You can learn more aboutthis from Gerald Wingrove's "The Complete Car Modeller" books. Maybe not your cup of tea, but the techniques can be used for any subject.
 _GOTOTOP