_GOTOBOTTOM
Tools & Supplies
Discussions on the latest and greatest tools, glues, and gadgets.
Hosted by Matt Leese
Badger 200 - Problem
nheather
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
entire network: 295 Posts
KitMaker Network: 90 Posts
Posted: Saturday, March 24, 2018 - 04:12 PM UTC
My two main ABs are Iwata, but I want a dedicated 0.5mm for primer and varnish coats.

I dug out an old Badger 200 gave it an overhaul but something doesn't seem quite right.

Firstly the airflow doesn't seem very strong. I have to run my compressor at 40 PSI to get the same blast of air from the 200 as I would get from my Iwatas at 10-15 PSI.

This results in relatively fine/narrow spray, however, the spray is nice and consistent.

But as I was cleaning it something strange happened. I gave it an initial wipe and then tried to spray some cleaner through it - I noticed I was barely getting any air at all and certainly not enough to siphon any cleaner from the bottle. So I removed the head/tip and noticed the that blast of air was reasonable - replaced the head/tip and nothing. Thought it might be the three air holes in the head/tip so checked with an interdental brush - they were clear. Replaced head/tip and nothing. Tried the air brush at varying angles and all of a sudden I got a blast of air again.

Any idea what could be the issue?

Cheers,

Nigel
retiredyank
Visit this Community
Arkansas, United States
entire network: 11,610 Posts
KitMaker Network: 3,657 Posts
Posted: Saturday, March 24, 2018 - 06:11 PM UTC
I know almost nothing about the 200, but have you checked you air valve assembly? I find that if I don't remove it, when I clean a brush, it can cause a similar problem to yours.
RobinNilsson
Staff MemberDirector of Member Services
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Stockholm, Sweden
entire network: 6,693 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,042 Posts
Posted: Saturday, March 24, 2018 - 06:31 PM UTC
I had problems with air pressure once and it turned out to be the seal between the air hose and the airbrush. The problem was really an issue with the air hose.

From your description it sounds as if some loose gunk had blocked an air channel and then you managed to shake it loose and possibly get it out of the airbrush when you removed the head and tip.

By removing 50-036 (the whole hose attachment/air valve assembly) you can check that the air channel going forward is clean. With some bad luck it is possible to get paint in there ...
Put 50-036 back in position and check airflow out the front, still without the head/tip assembly.
Attach the head/tip and check airflow. The base of the head (neck??) has holes for air, these are straight and cleanliness can be checked with Mk 1 eyeball or interdental brush (useful tools those, works miracles when cleaning airbrushes).

Possible obstruction points:
1. The air hose and the seal where it attaches to the airbrush.
2. The air valve.
3. The channel from the air valve forward through the main body.
4. The channels in the head
5. Improbable but maybe ... The opening where the tip fits into the tip protection. The foremost point of the airbrush, to the far left in the diagram above.

/ Robin
PRH001
Visit this Community
New Mexico, United States
entire network: 681 Posts
KitMaker Network: 64 Posts
Posted: Saturday, March 24, 2018 - 08:11 PM UTC
When you said you gave the brush an overhaul, what did you replace? I’ve seen people replace the head and nozzle but not the end cap and have similar issues. The end cap from a finer head assembly will not work properly with the small nozzle opening.

Paul H
petbat
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
entire network: 3,353 Posts
KitMaker Network: 94 Posts
Posted: Sunday, March 25, 2018 - 09:36 PM UTC
I once had a similar problem to Robin. In the assembly he talks about, there is an o ring. Part number 50-0141. Mine had begun to perish and was sticking to the needle part and travelling up and down the housing, obstructing airflow. Replacing that cured my issue.
 _GOTOTOP