_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General: Advice on...
Need some general advice? Place it here.
Wheel and tire types on CMP's and others
vettejack
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
entire network: 1,277 Posts
KitMaker Network: 22 Posts
Posted: Monday, March 12, 2018 - 06:46 PM UTC
Would most of you feel comfortable with alternating/interchanging different tire/wheel combinations on Quad Gun Tractors, 15 CWT truck's, CMP's and/or Otter's??

What would work, what would not! Thanx ahead...
RobinNilsson
Staff MemberDirector of Member Services
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Stockholm, Sweden
entire network: 6,693 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,042 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 13, 2018 - 02:13 AM UTC
I would accept a different tyre pattern if there was some sort of "evidence" for that combination. I assume we are talking more than a tyre pattern being the "wrong" way around since that has been established.

Some time ago there was a youtube-clip showing British tank recovery. A damaged tank was being winched up on a Scammell Pioner tractor-trailer. The tractor had 3 or 4 different types of tyres. I don't know if this could be used as evidence to support mix-n-match tyres on other wheeled vehicles.
If I had been in command and been given the choice of not rolling at all or rolling with mixed tyres I would have chosen to keep on rolling.

The Germans used British tyres without being ashamed ...
/ Robin
RLlockie
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
entire network: 1,112 Posts
KitMaker Network: 126 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 13, 2018 - 03:27 AM UTC
One thing that wouldn’t work is fitting the wrong size, so you would have a tough time mixing, for example, 9.00x16 with 10.50x16s on the same wagon.

Tread pattern is less critical, given that they weren’t racing the things so precise balance and grip were secondary requirements.
vettejack
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
entire network: 1,277 Posts
KitMaker Network: 22 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 13, 2018 - 05:44 PM UTC

Quoted Text

One thing that wouldn’t work is fitting the wrong size, so you would have a tough time mixing, for example, 9.00x16 with 10.50x16s on the same wagon.

Tread pattern is less critical, given that they weren’t racing the things so precise balance and grip were secondary requirements.

I had already assumed the wheels, and correct hub and their positions, would be the same size/type to any one single vehicle, along with a variety of tire...but stupid me forgot to mention that originally. I guess I'm going for the mixing of tires from different manufacturers!

Robin...again thanx for your input once again. My quest for mixing tire types, to include different tread pattern as well, is the goal. As far as the Germans goes when mixing up tires, yep, they used what was available...no matter the country of origin. I think one example of that is the Famo showing an entirely non standard tire in a few photos.
RobinNilsson
Staff MemberDirector of Member Services
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Stockholm, Sweden
entire network: 6,693 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,042 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 14, 2018 - 01:53 AM UTC

Tractor front differs from tractor rears, trailer has "street" tyres.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8e8Hxh9jW7c

A bit more "uniform", trailer has cross country tires but not the same pattern as tractor rear, tractor fron differs from tractor rear.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nYznU9553HM

/ Robin
 _GOTOTOP