_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General
General discussions about modeling topics.
Dark days for Revell
Klaus-Adler
Staff MemberCampaigns Administrator
MODELGEEK
Visit this Community
Scotland, United Kingdom
entire network: 1,505 Posts
KitMaker Network: 70 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 06, 2018 - 08:56 PM UTC
i have just been reading on another site that Hobbico who own Monogram-Revell and Revell of Germany have filed for bankruptcy.

now i am the first to admit i know noting of the ins and outs of the bankruptcy proceedings but this doesn't bode well for us modellers i would imagine.

https://www.hobbico.com/company-news.php
retiredyank
Visit this Community
Arkansas, United States
entire network: 11,610 Posts
KitMaker Network: 3,657 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 06, 2018 - 08:58 PM UTC
I just picked up Revell's F-15E for $8.50.
Bravo1102
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
entire network: 2,864 Posts
KitMaker Network: 171 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 06, 2018 - 09:46 PM UTC
This is old news. Hobbico is going through troubles and there will be some reorganisation but the major part of their companies that are profitable are Revell-monogram and Revell Germany. They'll likely be sold or spun off, but they're not going anywhere.

Hobbico made some mistakes in other areas not plastic models. The Revells are doing fine thank you very much.

Just the same Hornby is supposedly doing poorly, except for Airfix.
Jmarles
Visit this Community
British Columbia, Canada
entire network: 1,138 Posts
KitMaker Network: 166 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 14, 2018 - 07:49 AM UTC

Quoted Text

i have just been reading on another site that Hobbico who own Monogram-Revell and Revell of Germany have filed for bankruptcy.

now i am the first to admit i know noting of the ins and outs of the bankruptcy proceedings but this doesn't bode well for us modellers i would imagine.

https://www.hobbico.com/company

news.php

Hobbico doesn't own Revell of Germany, they are only the distributor, so it is business as usual except they need to nail down a distributor. Hobbico's assets are up for private auction in late March, with around 190 interested parties entering into confidentiality buying agreements.
VintageRPM
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
entire network: 300 Posts
KitMaker Network: 80 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 14, 2018 - 10:01 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Hobbico doesn't own Revell of Germany, they are only the distributor, so it is business as usual except they need to nail down a distributor. Hobbico's assets are up for private auction in late March, with around 190 interested parties entering into confidentiality buying agreements.

On the contrary. Hobbico did acquire Revell AG in 2012. Still, the Hobbico bankrupcy does not, at least at this point, have any real effect on either Revell.
wowcool
Visit this Community
Solomon Islands
entire network: 113 Posts
KitMaker Network: 5 Posts
Posted: Saturday, March 24, 2018 - 05:31 AM UTC
Hobbico is trying to auction off Revell and Revell of Germany for some million dollars each. Hobbico owe the model companies Bandai, Hasegawa, Moebius, MRC, and Tamiya thousands of dollars. They also owe Futaba, another R/C company, some 2 million in debt.
sgtreef
Visit this Community
Oklahoma, United States
entire network: 6,043 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,603 Posts
Posted: Saturday, March 24, 2018 - 06:18 PM UTC
Bummer on all of that.

_GOTOTOP