_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General: Advice on...
Need some general advice? Place it here.
Comissioned to....
Smoke86
Visit this Community
Vermont, United States
entire network: 33 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Friday, March 12, 2004 - 03:05 PM UTC
My wife a couple months ago asked me if I could find a 'land rover type' vehicle to put in our baby's nursey; which is done in an African Safari theme. She though it might be neat to get a kit and build one like a real safari vehicle. After trying to get a few civilian Land Rover kits on E-bay that look like they were OOP I ordered the Tamiya SAS 'Pink Panther' from Great Models.

Anyone have any ideas on how to take this from an SAS vehicle and make it more like a Safari vehicle. Also does anyone have a good website with photos of Land Rovers used in Africa? Not spefically the type the Pink Panther is modelled after (The MK II), although that would be nice.

Any helps would be great, thanks.

slodder
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
entire network: 11,718 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,584 Posts
Posted: Friday, March 12, 2004 - 03:27 PM UTC
Here is a cool paint job - a bit of solder for a roll cage and you'd be rally close to this. No second row of seats but....
http://www.chukkacove.com/jeep_safari.htm
DaveCox
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
entire network: 4,307 Posts
KitMaker Network: 788 Posts
Posted: Friday, March 12, 2004 - 07:26 PM UTC
A lot of Landies that I've seen in films from the game reserves etc appear to be in a semi-military state. I'd just leave out the guns and any other weaponry and give it a semi-gloss green paint job. Bear in mind that a lot of these also serve as anti-poacher patrol vehicles so radio would still be an option.
mikeli125
Visit this Community
England - North West, United Kingdom
entire network: 2,595 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,079 Posts
Posted: Friday, March 12, 2004 - 07:40 PM UTC
I agree with Dave alot of surplus landrovers in germanywere bought by dutch firms at MOD auctions and stripped/repaired and sold to Africa try looking for the italeri one its not so miltary looking also I'm sure monogram or revell actually done a die cast one as a rally /game warden type
Smoke86
Visit this Community
Vermont, United States
entire network: 33 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Saturday, March 13, 2004 - 03:38 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I agree with Dave alot of surplus landrovers in germanywere bought by dutch firms at MOD auctions and stripped/repaired and sold to Africa try looking for the italeri one its not so miltary looking also I'm sure monogram or revell actually done a die cast one as a rally /game warden type

I saw the Monogram one on E-bay and the price was up to over 30 bucks or better. So thats why I opted with the SAS model from Tamiya. Cheap, realtively decent model from what I've seen/read and available.

Thanks for the advice guys.
 _GOTOTOP