Discuss general weathering topics here.
rustall
mikeli125
Visit this Community
England - North West, United Kingdom
entire network: 2,595 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,079 Posts
Posted: Friday, March 12, 2004 - 12:49 PM UTC
anyone ever used rustall? any good? and will you still have to add texture to the surfaces to make it look like rust?
dsmith
Visit this Community
United States
entire network: 183 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Friday, March 12, 2004 - 02:48 PM UTC
Never tried rustall, but you could try this

https://armorama.kitmaker.net/forums/23511&page=1

Hope this helps
animal
Visit this Community
entire network: 4,503 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,163 Posts
Posted: Friday, March 12, 2004 - 03:50 PM UTC
I use rustall all the time. I love the stuff. I mix some of the black wash with the rust to get a darker less orange rust color. I have mixed in some baking soda to give the parts a burnt rust look. As far as I am concern the stuff is great.
Cafe
Visit this Community
Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
entire network: 4 Posts
Posted: Sunday, April 04, 2004 - 07:17 AM UTC
Be careful with your base color. If it´s acrilyc the isopropilic alcohol from the Rustall may damage it.
Café
winchweight
Visit this Community
England - West Midlands, United Kingdom
entire network: 513 Posts
Posted: Sunday, April 04, 2004 - 07:35 AM UTC
Not used Rustall, but I've used Instant rust. Great effects. Where did you get Rustall from? I was at the show at Cosford today, and no-one had any.

mikeli125
Visit this Community
England - North West, United Kingdom
entire network: 2,595 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,079 Posts
Posted: Sunday, April 04, 2004 - 08:03 AM UTC
winchweight,
I tried the instant rust and it was ok but the bottle dried out ordered my rustall from greatmodels
winchweight
Visit this Community
England - West Midlands, United Kingdom
entire network: 513 Posts
Posted: Sunday, April 04, 2004 - 09:14 AM UTC
Cheers!!
11Charlie
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
entire network: 926 Posts
KitMaker Network: 329 Posts
Posted: Sunday, April 04, 2004 - 03:40 PM UTC
I read many years ago you could make "real" rust by soaking steel wool in bleach (any brand) overnight, which causes it to "rust". Remove the steel wool from the bleach and let it dry. You may have to scrape or crush it a bit to form a powder and apply the way you would pastels...

...you may even be able to apply it while it's wet, using a paint brush, but I've never tried the wet application, so I'm not sure if the bleach would damage your paint. I suggest trying it on a scrap piece first.

...I bet you could soak the steel wool in water and get the same results, without risking damage to your models finish....
firemann816
Visit this Community
Alabama, United States
entire network: 790 Posts
Posted: Sunday, April 04, 2004 - 04:23 PM UTC
I read something similar somewhere (Here or Hyperscale or ARC)
The caveat (I think) was to avoid the SOS dish soap pads and instead use the steel wool

I think the detergent was a bad thing.
And as pointed out it will go on any finish so acrylics or enamels will take to it.

Pastels anyone?
straightedge
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
entire network: 1,352 Posts
KitMaker Network: 571 Posts
Posted: Sunday, April 04, 2004 - 09:20 PM UTC
Take the steel wool in plain old tap water, don't add anything, people said vinegar, but don't unless you want your house to smell, it is best to get the finest steel wool you can find. It is real cheap, two bucks worth will give you enough to make enough to do ten thousand models probably, and if you put it in there whole it came out darker for me, so the second batch, I tore it up into as thin as I could and filled up two of them little zip lock pastic containers, and filled them with water so just a little steel wool is sticking out of the water, and everyday I would flip it over so the other side would rust. It takes sunlight and air, so put it in a southern exposure window.
Within 7 to 10 days it will be all dry, then crumble up what is left, and you will have enough powder to fill up a Copenhagen container.
Remember when I threw in the whole pad it came out a real dark rust, then the second time I pulled it into little tiny shreads,and it came out much lighter colored, I guess the sun was better able to get to the rest of it. The second batch I also put the one pad into two different containers with it all tore up it took up much more room. Hope this was able to help.

Kerry
11Charlie
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
entire network: 926 Posts
KitMaker Network: 329 Posts
Posted: Monday, April 05, 2004 - 11:26 AM UTC
Thanks for setting me straight.......straightedge...I'm going to try that. I couldn't remember after twelve years what the exact technique was...
straightedge
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
entire network: 1,352 Posts
KitMaker Network: 571 Posts
Posted: Monday, April 05, 2004 - 11:46 PM UTC
No problem 11 Charlie, I wanted to tell about the vinegar to cause somebody said to do it when I first tried, so I tried it, and it stunk up the whole house, and the worse of it was, even after the dry powder, it still smells, so just plain tap water, if you don't want it to smell, and like I said I threw the whole pad in for dark rust, and tore it up into tiny pieces for lighter rust.
 _GOTOTOP