_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General: Advice on...
Need some general advice? Place it here.
1/72 scale Resin kits
chrisb760
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
entire network: 70 Posts
KitMaker Network: 21 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 07, 2018 - 10:54 PM UTC
Hi I have never made a resin kit or used any resin add ons. Are there any basic skills or applications used when making a resin kit. I have seen some kits on Balaton of oshkosh M1070 trucks.
Would appreciate any advice please
Wolf-Leader
Visit this Community
New Hampshire, United States
entire network: 1,225 Posts
KitMaker Network: 463 Posts
Posted: Thursday, February 08, 2018 - 02:42 AM UTC
Hey Chris,
First thing is this,I have used resin AM parts for my 1/72nd kits as well as I have 3 kits that are completely resin.
Now when it comes to resin,you need to know that resin needs to be washed with soapy warm water to get the release agent off the resin parts.Also depending on the resin parts you need to be very careful when washing the small one because they will break very easily.
Once washed you need to let them air dry,and DO NOT dry them with a hair drier you will warp the resin parts!
Now once you have done all this resin is not like a normal plastic model,you can not use model glue to adhere the resin parts together.You will need to use CA glue preferably the gap filling type of CA glue.
Another thing when using the CA glue with resin make sure that when you adhere the parts together that is where you want them other wise it will get to be a real problem.
I hope this will help you get started in your resin modeling.
Wolf-leader
chrisb760
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
Posted: Thursday, February 08, 2018 - 12:54 PM UTC
Thanks for the advice do you think that making the Balaton 1/72 M1070 isn't the best for my first kit?
Chris
RobinNilsson
Staff MemberDirector of Member Services
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Stockholm, Sweden
entire network: 6,693 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,042 Posts
Posted: Thursday, February 08, 2018 - 03:40 PM UTC
M1070 as first kit?
How much experience do you have from other 1(72 kits with many parts?
As Jody writes the assembly is trickier due to the CA-glue.
Gap filling doesn't grip quite so fast so you have a few seconds to get the parts aligned properly. Resin is somewhat brittle so separating CA-glued parts usually results in broken parts.
With the thin (fast, not gap filling) CA it could be possible to hold the parts together and then apply CA to the joint and let capillary action suck the glue in.

I had a look at the M1070 HET at Balatons website:
http://www.balatonmodellshop.co.uk/spd/BM7220/M1070-HET
and I think I would recommend something like one of the GAZ-66'es as first kit:
http://www.balatonmodellshop.co.uk/spd/BM7212/Gaz-66-light-truck

What you could do is to use the pouring blocks, once you have removed the parts, to try out gluing techniques.

Don't let the dust from sanding spread all over the place.
Inhaling dust, almost regardless of what kind of dust it is, can be harmful, especially with prolonged exposure.
A vacuum cleaner with a fine mesh over the suction end can be used to keep dust under control.

/ Robin
chrisb760
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
Posted: Thursday, February 08, 2018 - 08:15 PM UTC
Thanks again all of this information maybe I will start with something easier and a little cheaper
 _GOTOTOP