_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General: Advice on...
Need some general advice? Place it here.
Research photos
Bearcat49
Visit this Community
Arkansas, United States
entire network: 12 Posts
KitMaker Network: 3 Posts
Posted: Thursday, February 01, 2018 - 09:16 AM UTC
I am curious if anyone uses colourizing techniques, software or what to take old black and white photos and colourize them to get better ideas of paint schemes, such as on older military vehicles.

I am wanting to start a PT-109 build soon but I haven't had any luck finding color photos.
Bravo1102
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
entire network: 2,864 Posts
KitMaker Network: 171 Posts
Posted: Sunday, February 04, 2018 - 04:06 AM UTC
Almost everything out there is a 'Best guess" There is really no definitive software to provide definitive color just neighborhoods usually based on other research. So you'll match field grey uniform based on existing uniforms with only noting the tone difference from lighting. It's as much an art as it is a science.
Darkin
Visit this Community
Wojewodztwo Malopolskie, Poland
entire network: 56 Posts
KitMaker Network: 3 Posts
Posted: Sunday, February 04, 2018 - 04:07 AM UTC
Hi David,
maybe this link help
http://www.pt103.com/Italeri_PT109_Build_Stuart_Hurley_4.html
Jmarles
Visit this Community
British Columbia, Canada
entire network: 1,138 Posts
KitMaker Network: 166 Posts
Posted: Monday, February 05, 2018 - 02:44 AM UTC
Ah, here is your question! Well, that's a real can of worms and I guess it would be useful to colourize to show contrasting patterns but I don't know about how accurate the colour rendition would be. It depends on the original emulsion type of the film, if it's monochromatic, etc. You could try your luck at a historical or retouching photography website maybe. Good luck!
Bravo1102
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
entire network: 2,864 Posts
KitMaker Network: 171 Posts
Posted: Monday, February 05, 2018 - 03:19 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Ah, here is your question! Well, that's a real can of worms and I guess it would be useful to colourize to show contrasting patterns but I don't know about how accurate the colour rendition would be. It depends on the original emulsion type of the film, if it's monochromatic, etc. You could try your luck at a historical or retouching photography website maybe. Good luck!

Most of the people doing this generally use the same color matching techniques as painters. Quite simply: color match to existing items rather than guess the original color for black and white. Too many variables to trust the tone of a black and white piece to accurately guess colors as opposed to just light and dark values.
 _GOTOTOP