_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General: Advice on...
Need some general advice? Place it here.
Need Help on Basics
Hip_Priest
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
entire network: 142 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 23, 2004 - 08:00 PM UTC
Hi

I wrote some tips a few weeks back. Nothing earth shattering but you may pick up a good point or two.

https://armorama.kitmaker.net/forums/26242&page=1

All the best!
BlueBear
Visit this Community
Idaho, United States
entire network: 414 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 23, 2004 - 08:29 PM UTC
Which Tamiya Hanomeg did you get? The new Ausf D or the old C? The C is supposed to be a mess as far as accuracy goes, and the interior is only about half way there. The Ausf D is pretty good, but if you're a nit-picker, you can still make improvements. The same goes for the Panther, the old 1970's vintage Panther is sorely lacking, while the newer Panther family that has come out over the past few years are things to behold when you open the box and when they're put together.
I have an Aztec 4709 airbrush and compressor. Get a medium and fine tip, and with practice you can handle any camoflage there is out there.
Xavier
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
entire network: 15 Posts
Posted: Monday, March 29, 2004 - 04:45 PM UTC
The Tamiya kits I purchased, unfortunately, are the older kits. I've since read a number of places the problems associated with their accuracy. Kind of discouraging, but I guess they will do to practice on.

Couple more questions for you guys:

I seem to be having trouble with 'Super glue' running, the consistency is so much thinner that regular model glue. How should I be applying it? What are some recommened brands?

Sometime ago I found a site that had a good many color templates of German armor (different theaters etc.), I wasn't into modeling then so I didn't mark it. Can't find it again. Any help with a good site.

Thanks again.
Davinator
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
entire network: 107 Posts
Posted: Monday, March 29, 2004 - 06:42 PM UTC
I guess my best advice is this, I saw that you purchased S Paines "How to build Dioramas"... This is a fantastic book, it got me into the hobby 25-30 years ago... Yes it is fairly old... As am I, and many of the other modelers you will meet here... :-) Read it and study it, but don't become frustrated when you find some of the techniques hard to duplicate... Remember that Shep is one of the best... He didn't get that way over night... Work on your own stuff, work at the techniques that you learn from the books but don't get too frustrated when your figures look like... well... figures... If you try to generate results that match what you see in the books, and even here, you might give up too soon... I just recently got back into the hobby and I'm learning to paint in an entirely different way then I did way back when... I'm still not yet satisfied with the results that I am getting but I can see definate improvements, just after diving into these forums... There is so much on this web site to learn from! Use it and enjoy!
firemann816
Visit this Community
Alabama, United States
entire network: 790 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 30, 2004 - 02:15 AM UTC
Xavier - I concur with the above post -
there will be trials along the way.
for my thin glue I use Tenax, and expect (and want) its runny consistency
For CA I use the gap filling formula which is thick, available from Mail Order by our site's sponsors...

Cheers
As far as ABs I have an Aztek I(almost brand new) I'd consider parting with
(I want to go back to Badger single action)
Xavier
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, March 30, 2004 - 10:01 AM UTC
Yep, I got to agree with you guys. I'm really enjoying Shep's How to Build Dios book. He has a couple of good chapters on weathering and detailing. I thought I had his book on modeling tanks and armor (lost the bid in the last minute or so).

Anyway, I ordered a airbrush from Auto Body Depot (PAASCHE AIRBRUSH PAINT EZ-STARTER AIR BRUSH), the brush was really inexpensive ($14 bucks), so I expect I'll get what I paid for; a cheap AB, if I ever get it. I ordered the thing a wk ago and have yet to recieve an email confirming the order has been proccessed and sent, I tried to call their customer service # to no avail, I am growing very very impatient with them.

I am very interested in your Azted AB firemann. Make me an offer or Email me at: [email protected]

As always, thanks.
firemann816
Visit this Community
Alabama, United States
Posted: Tuesday, March 30, 2004 - 01:31 PM UTC
Xavier -
If youre interested, here's the URL -
http://www.testors.com/catalog_item.asp?itemNbr=48

Its almost never been used

I sprayed two sessions with, and think the clean up was the easiest I've ever seen.
Ordered some extra nozzles as well, I'll throw in.
(Didnt come w/ the cleaning station at the time I bought it however)
BUT
I couldnt get used to the trigger control since I'd come to this one from a single action Badger, where you adjusted the spray from a thumbscrew in the rear.
The Aztek handle is very ergonomic, and if I wasn't so stubborn with too much baggage to 'unlearn' I'd probably think this is the way all Airbrushes should be.

It just doesnt "fit" me the way the Badger did.
Xavier
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, March 31, 2004 - 06:14 PM UTC
Thanks firemann. I checked out the URL. That is a really really nice brush. More than I can spend at the moment, but if you don't sell it and you or still offering it, I would like to buy it in the near future. I have heard nothing but good things about this AB.

Thanks
jeremy47
Visit this Community
Luzon, Philippines
entire network: 50 Posts
Posted: Thursday, April 01, 2004 - 02:35 AM UTC
I read all the tips you guys discussed and it helped! thanks! by the way im new to this site and im in to this hobby for about 7 years or so... and i still need to learn advanced modelling skils! im in need of help with my new figure(modern us infantryman 1/16) and i dont know where to start.

i really need help!!! all help is APPRECIATED!

matt
Staff MemberCampaigns Administrator
Visit this Community
New York, United States
entire network: 5,957 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,626 Posts
Posted: Thursday, April 01, 2004 - 06:16 AM UTC
Welcome For Large scale figures.......poke around here
https://armorama.kitmaker.net/modules.php?op=modload&name=SquawkBox&file=index&req=viewforum&forum_id=9&page=1
firemann816
Visit this Community
Alabama, United States
Posted: Friday, April 02, 2004 - 03:39 AM UTC
Yeah Welcome to all New Members -
Tell your friends and post some pics for us

Xavier it is nice, lots of thought went into its design.
PM me whenever your ready and I'll work you up a discount.

I just go to clear enough to "wife-proof" the aquisition of the successor single action Badger so she doesnt get in my case about it. She did notice when I had the compressor and the Aztek shipped into the house. And remarked about them

The guy who runs the shop an hour down the road, thinks I need a 220 because I like small scale stuff.
Hope all is going well in you and your son's new shared pasttime
 _GOTOTOP