_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General: AMPS
Topics about AMPS (Armor Model and Preservation Society).
Help with tweezers for tiny bits
alchemymike
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
entire network: 208 Posts
KitMaker Network: 15 Posts
Posted: Sunday, January 28, 2018 - 12:18 AM UTC
I have lots of tweezers yet none seem to work well... parts still go flying... suggestions
KoSprueOne
Visit this Community
Myanmar
entire network: 4,011 Posts
KitMaker Network: 879 Posts
Posted: Sunday, January 28, 2018 - 04:52 AM UTC
I CA (super glued) pieces of rubber band to the tips of one of my tweezers. This is good for grip-holding delicate parts that like to vanish.

Hope that helps.

PRH001
Visit this Community
New Mexico, United States
entire network: 681 Posts
KitMaker Network: 64 Posts
Posted: Monday, January 29, 2018 - 06:33 PM UTC
The most common reasons I’ve found for parts flying away when using small tweezers are using too much pressure trying to hold the item and misaligned tips on the tweezer. Obviously, the first problem can be overcome with practice, but the second needs a more specific fix.

Check to see if the tips of your tweezer come together exactly square. If the tips are not square to each other and are not perfectly flat on the inside surface tips, you create torque when you squeeze the halves together instead of direct pressure.

The best place to start is with a quality tool. I’ve have very good service from all of my Dumont tweezers. I’d recommend the #3c and #1 in antimagnetic or carbon steel for modeling. Tips are maintained using a hard sharpening stone, not sandpaper.

Hope this helps.

Paul H
 _GOTOTOP