_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General: Advice on...
Need some general advice? Place it here.
Future Stripping
mickfork
Visit this Community
Alabama, United States
entire network: 8 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Thursday, March 11, 2004 - 06:13 AM UTC
After painting I brushcoated with future, trying to tone done some light orange peel (model master enamel). The coat of future has some bubbles in it that didn't go away and dried in the coat. Question no. 1, how can I avoid orange peel with gloss paints, even when I painted a good wet coat, and question 2, how can I get rid of the small bubbles? Should I strip it, and if yes, how do I strip future?

Thanks
Mfork
GunTruck
Visit this Community
California, United States
entire network: 5,885 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,405 Posts
Posted: Thursday, March 11, 2004 - 06:27 AM UTC
Future is stripped with Ammonia pretty easily. You can use a small amount (mixed 50% with tap water) applied by Q-Tip in a small area to work down the Future. Your paint coat is enamel, so you shouldn't hurt it if it had a chance to cure properly.

Let the Ammonia-stripped area air dry completely - else when you try to reapply the Future you'll get cloudiness.

My suggestion...

Gunnie
ZoomieE7
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
entire network: 145 Posts
Posted: Thursday, March 11, 2004 - 08:10 AM UTC
Future is great stuff, but you can't expect it to do everything for you. Minor or light orange peel can be rubbed out with an LMG Enterprises or similar polishing kit. If you're going to be doing gloss finishes, it's a great investment of $20.00 or so. I've seen a demo where the user got an almost mirror finnish from flat grey automotive primer!
As for the bubbles in the future, you're probably "brushing" it too much. If you have to use a brush, use the widest one you can, and avoid rebrushing any areas. Multiple strokes force the air trapped between the bristles to mix with the future. This is why you "dip," not brush, clear parts.
Part-timer
Visit this Community
Georgia, United States
entire network: 361 Posts
Posted: Thursday, March 11, 2004 - 08:55 AM UTC
Ditto what others have said. Plain old rubbing alcohol will also strip Future pretty effectively. Neither future nor any other gloss coat will fix orange-peel; if you can see the surface variations themselves, rather than just the flatness or distortion they're causing, Future isn't going to fix them. (That's why unpainted canopy frames are still visible even after you dip the canopy in Future). Some very fine sanding paper or some polishing cloths can get rid of the O-P. To reduce or eliminate the O-P, try mixing a tiny bit of Windex, dishwashing detergent, or other wetting agent into your paint when you AB. It won't dry as quickly, but the finish will be smoother. Also, many light coats are better than one thick one.
 _GOTOTOP