_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General
General discussions about modeling topics.
Bad News for Hobbico
Kevlar06
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
entire network: 3,670 Posts
KitMaker Network: 527 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 10, 2018 - 08:13 AM UTC
Just learned over at Cybermodeler that Hobbico, one of the largest disributors of Revell, Revell AG, Italeri, and Hasegawa, among others, has declared bankruptcy. Not sure how this will affect those here in the US, but many LHS and on-line shops use Hobbico as a wholesale distributor. I remember just a few years ago when Hobbico made a bid to become the largest distributor of Revell in the US, putting many of the smaller distributors out of business, guess what goes around comes around. Not sure how this will affect us in the US, guess we'll have to wait and see.
VR, Russ
md72
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
entire network: 4,950 Posts
KitMaker Network: 564 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 10, 2018 - 11:24 AM UTC
Sad news all around. I'm sure the kits will still get made but at a higher cost.
Jmarles
Visit this Community
British Columbia, Canada
entire network: 1,138 Posts
KitMaker Network: 166 Posts
Posted: Friday, January 12, 2018 - 02:34 AM UTC
RoG put out a statement. they are a seperate company and it's business as usual for now..
RobinNilsson
Staff MemberDirector of Member Services
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Stockholm, Sweden
entire network: 6,693 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,042 Posts
Posted: Friday, January 12, 2018 - 04:17 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Sad news all around. I'm sure the kits will still get made but at a higher cost.

Kits will still get made at the same cost as before. Modern technology has probably reduced the cost compared to what it was in the 70'ies, or allowed a LOT more detail to be included at the same cost as back then.
The cost to the consumer might go up due to less competition in the distribution chain but this would probably only concern those who shop in the now more or less extinct local hobby shops.
/ Robin
 _GOTOTOP