Hosted by Matt Leese
Which Airbrush
Victor1029
Visit this Community
Arizona, United States
entire network: 3 Posts
KitMaker Network: 3 Posts
Posted: Saturday, December 02, 2017 - 09:00 AM UTC
Looking to invest in my first single action airbrush just starting out and not too familiar with using one and heard that starting out with a good single action airbrush is the way to go and need some advice on where to start looking to spend about $60 - $80 U.S.
Vicious
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
entire network: 1,517 Posts
KitMaker Network: 309 Posts
Posted: Saturday, December 02, 2017 - 09:10 AM UTC
First it's better if you say how much you can spend and.....I would go straight to a double action AB now you can buy some good ones for starters without spending too much money like Iwata neo or badger patriot 105 (I prefer the second)
Victor1029
Visit this Community
Arizona, United States
entire network: 3 Posts
KitMaker Network: 3 Posts
Posted: Sunday, December 03, 2017 - 06:03 AM UTC
Thanks Vicious for the info.
retiredyank
Visit this Community
Arkansas, United States
entire network: 11,610 Posts
KitMaker Network: 3,657 Posts
Posted: Monday, December 04, 2017 - 03:43 AM UTC
I started, with a double action, siphon fed ab from Harbor Freight. It was a disaster. I moved on to Iwata(very nice). However, I would recommend the Badger Renegade Krome series. It's a dream to use and, with proper set-up can spray a hairline fine. I currently have two of these and all parts, in the series are interchangeable. To clean my brush, I break it down and place all, but the air valve assembly in a jar of lacquer thinner. This is set on my uc and let run for 5-10 minutes. Clean up, between colors is a quick shot of Windex or lacquer thinner. Wipe it out and run a reaming needle, through it a few times. There is not any soft metal visible, so you don't have to worry about etching. I have used the Sotar 2020, as well. It is very simple and allows for a range of spray patterns. With proper care and maintenance, these airbrushes should last forever.
kevinekstrom
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
entire network: 82 Posts
KitMaker Network: 57 Posts
Posted: Sunday, March 18, 2018 - 03:53 PM UTC
Most airbrushes will preform similar at any given price point. If your looking for a gun in the say 80.00 to 120.00 range you will find they are all similar in performance. Of course some will feel different in the comfort zone, the size and balance may vary, but they should basically shoot the same depending on needle size. An airbrush is a tool, you need to learn how to handle the tool for best results. There are many good options and I am a cheerleader for no brand. Find what suits you and practice.
RobinNilsson
Staff MemberDirector of Member Services
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Stockholm, Sweden
entire network: 6,693 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,042 Posts
Posted: Sunday, March 18, 2018 - 06:44 PM UTC
Don't bother with a single action, buy a double action instead.
I started with a double action, as recommended by others, and had no problems learning how to use it.
I think it is easier to adjust the opening (flow of paint) on-the-fly than having to set the needle first and then re-set it when I find out the opening was too large or too small.
When I paint I use different openings (flow of paint) in the sam session. Large spray coverage for larger surfaces and a smaller opening when painting into small corners such as all the corners on the lower chassis of a tank.
/ Robin
Kevlar06
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
entire network: 3,670 Posts
KitMaker Network: 527 Posts
Posted: Monday, March 19, 2018 - 02:49 AM UTC
Yeah-- I agree with Robin again. My advice is to buy a good double action AB and learn how to use it. I've been modeling since 1959, and I wish somebody had given me that same advice back in the 60's when I was just getting into airbrushing. By the time you spend money on several "good" single action brushes, you'll wish you'd just started with a double action in the first place. There are plenty of inexpensive (relatively speaking) double actions out there that do a great job. By the time you buy a single action, use it for a few models, and wonder why you cant get the same feathered edge and "mottling" and fine lines that other modelers do, you'll wish you'd have bought a double action. True, they are more difficult to learn how to use, but once you master them through practice, you'll be amazed at the results and what you can do with them. But remember, like any fine instrument, they need to be kept clean and serviceable, cleaning them after each use, and storing them properly to avoid damage. You don't by a Ferrari to park it in a junkyard and never change the oil--at least you shouldn't if you expect it to drive properly!
VR, Russ
Scarred
Visit this Community
entire network: 1,792 Posts
KitMaker Network: 482 Posts
Posted: Monday, March 19, 2018 - 04:12 AM UTC
If you feel intimidated by the typical layout of a double action airbrush you can get a trigger type. I'm using a Grex but it cost over $200. You can find a Iwata TRN1 for about $100 if you shop around. Much more intuitive for me than the push pull of the typical double action. Wish they had these types of airbrushes 30 plus years ago when I bought my first double action.
kevinekstrom
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
Posted: Wednesday, March 21, 2018 - 07:02 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Yeah-- By the time you buy a single action, use it for a few models, and wonder why you cant get the same feathered edge and "mottling" and fine lines that other modelers do, y!
VR, Russ

Not true. My Badger 200 can get some very fine lines and mottling is a technique you learn to do with practice and a Badger 200 will do it just fine, same with feathering. You can control your air flow very easily with the Badger 200 with a simple turn of the rear element, the rest is how near or far you are to the object, pull away gently for gentle shading, or move in close and close down the air flow for tight lines.

I do agree a double action gun is the best bet, but your confusing technique with function. With practice you can make the simplest of guns preform excellent. A double action gun makes life easier but stating that a single action gun won't do the task is a fallacy.

Victor this little video will explain the guns and how they function. It's all about learning how to use the tool you have.
https://youtu.be/Aog6dNwydhg
Kevlar06
Visit this Community
entire network: 3,670 Posts
KitMaker Network: 527 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 21, 2018 - 08:41 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Yeah-- By the time you buy a single action, use it for a few models, and wonder why you cant get the same feathered edge and "mottling" and fine lines that other modelers do, y!
VR, Russ

Not true. My Badger 200 can get some very fine lines and mottling is a technique you learn to do with practice and a Badger 200 will do it just fine, same with feathering. You can control your air flow very easily with the Badger 200 with a simple turn of the rear element, the rest is how near or far you are to the object, pull away gently for gentle shading, or move in close and close down the air flow for tight lines.

I do agree a double action gun is the best bet, but your confusing technique with function. With practice you can make the simplest of guns preform excellent. A double action gun makes life easier but stating that a single action gun won't do the task is a fallacy.

Victor this little video will explain the guns and how they function. It's all about learning how to use the tool you have.

No one said it wasn't possible to get the same results with a single action brush-- I have several that I've used for a long time-- since the 60's in fact, including a Badger 150 and a 200. But, to get those fine lines with a single action you speak of you have to make many adjustments in air pressure, needle settings, paint viscosity and nozzle size. Sometimes it's guesswork and requires practice and experimentation before you put paint to the model to get those effects with a single action. It's time consuming and fiddly to stop, adjust, re-adjust and change the settings when you can just do it with the trigger on a double action brush. My Badger 150 and 200 are generally used for single applications now, Like base coats and touch up work.
VR, Russ
kevinekstrom
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
Posted: Thursday, March 22, 2018 - 05:27 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

VR, Russ

No one said it wasn't possible to get the same results with a single action brush-- I have several that I've used for a long time-- since the 60's in fact, including a Badger 150 and a 200. But, to get those fine lines with a single action you speak of you have to make many adjustments in air pressure, needle settings, paint viscosity and nozzle size. Sometimes it's guesswork and requires practice and experimentation before you put paint to the model to get those effects with a single action. It's time consuming and fiddly to stop, adjust, re-adjust and change the settings when you can just do it with the trigger on a double action brush. My Badger 150 and 200 are generally used for single applications now, Like base coats and touch up work.
VR, Russ

***Yeah-- By the time you buy a single action, use it for a few models, and wonder why you cant get the same feathered edge and "mottling" and fine lines that other modelers do***

Yep, it sure was implied.

Don't get me wrong, I totally agree that a dual action gun is the way to go, but the most important aspect about using any gun is learning how to use the tool you have.
 _GOTOTOP