_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General
General discussions about modeling topics.
The Gentleman's Scale?
STLDALE
Visit this Community
Missouri, United States
entire network: 96 Posts
KitMaker Network: 21 Posts
Posted: Monday, November 27, 2017 - 04:55 AM UTC
Why is 1/72 scale called this?
Thanks.
Vicious
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
entire network: 1,517 Posts
KitMaker Network: 309 Posts
Posted: Monday, November 27, 2017 - 05:47 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Why is 1/72 scale called this?
Thanks.

Never heard before but maybe because being small does not steal too much space from wife's junk...
Kevlar06
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
entire network: 3,670 Posts
KitMaker Network: 527 Posts
Posted: Monday, November 27, 2017 - 08:01 AM UTC
Never heard it called "the gentlemen's scale" before, but I have heard it called "Braille Scale" ( although today that's generally reserved for 1/144 scale). It has more often been called "the one true Scale" though. That title is derived from the fact 1/72 scale was chosen for WWII ID aircraft models which were carved to exacting 1/72 scale standards in thousands of High School craft shops during WWII, and assembled into boxed sets to be shipped overseas-- 1/72 being the right size for handling and ID purposes at certain distances. Many of those kids carving them would later move on to plastic in the 50s and 60s, and 1/72 scale was considered the scale that really started it all. Many of the early British offerings before WWII were also in this scale (there's a great scene in the movie "The Kings Speech" depicting the future king of England building some 1/72 kits with his speech therapist's kids). I think Elastolin was one of the first 1/72 scale manufacturers using cellulose plastic to make these kits.
VR, Russ
Bravo1102
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
entire network: 2,864 Posts
KitMaker Network: 171 Posts
Posted: Monday, November 27, 2017 - 01:55 PM UTC
It's only a short step from "one true scale" to "gentlemen's scale "

Every other scale is the choice of boorish louts with big fingers who haven't the taste or dexterity to handle 1/72. So one is for gentlemen and another is for boors. Americans usually, who always want things bigger for some reason. They are definitely compensating for some deficiency. Quarter scale indeed, a waste of time, money and space. Needless to mention the wretched excess and insanity of larger scales. No gentleman would ever do anything in 1/32 let alone 1/24. Quite boorish and wasteful excess.

You know, just step into a character you'd imagine saying that and let them reason it out.

Pretentious and small minded folks on either side of the scale issue. Gentleman's scale? It's "all I can fit on my shelf scale"
RobinNilsson
Staff MemberDirector of Member Services
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Stockholm, Sweden
entire network: 6,693 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,042 Posts
Posted: Monday, November 27, 2017 - 07:50 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Every other scale is the choice of boorish louts with big fingers who haven't the taste or dexterity to handle 1/72. So one is for gentlemen and another is for boors. Americans usually, who always want things bigger for some reason. They are definitely compensating for some deficiency. Quarter scale indeed, a waste of time, money and space. Needless to mention the wretched excess and insanity of larger scales. No gentleman would ever do anything in 1/32 let alone 1/24. Quite boorish and wasteful excess.

You know, just step into a character you'd imagine saying that and let them reason it out.

Pretentious and small minded folks on either side of the scale issue. Gentleman's scale? It's "all I can fit on my shelf scale"

Which reminds me of this old joke:
An Englishman and a Texan are at lunch, in England.

The Texan says, "In Texas, we grow potatoes eight inches across!"

The Englishman says, "In England, we grow them to fit English mouths."

and a personal favourite:
In a nearly empty London bar on a filthy winter's day, there were several patrons quietly drinking when in comes your stereotypical American visitor, obviously unimpressed by the country, its weather and everything else about it.
He says loudly, 'What a lousy country. The bars are shut half the time, it's cold, wet and windy, the beer tastes like piss and is served at the same temperature, the streets are packed and you can't even get a cab.'
Several people quietly leave.
He looks at a gentleman quietly sipping a pink gin and says, 'Hey, limey, how can you bear to live in such a miserable place?'
He is ignored; more people leave. After much more of this, only the gentleman with the pink gin, the barman and the American are left.
He says, 'Hey, limey, I'm talking to you. I've been to damn near every country in the world and this is the lousiest. I dunno how you can bear to live here. This country is just the arsehole of the world.
The gentleman with the pink gin pauses, takes another sip and, turning, delicately, enquires of the American.
'Oh, yes. Just passing through, are you?'

/ Robin
Scarred
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
entire network: 1,792 Posts
KitMaker Network: 482 Posts
Posted: Monday, November 27, 2017 - 09:41 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Now you made me self conscious about my 1/16 scale tank collection.
But I have big hands and Big feet so I have nuthin to hide. Seriously nuthing to hide at all. Now if you'll excuse me I have to go. I say again I'm not overcompensating for anything as I climb into my 420+ hp super truck, kick it in the Eaton blower and melt my tires on launch and fly off down the hiway. Not over compensating at all.
Hohenstaufen
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
entire network: 2,192 Posts
KitMaker Network: 386 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, November 28, 2017 - 09:12 PM UTC
I always assumed that the "Gentleman's Scale", if there was one, would be the old 54mm figure as per "Tradition", Imrie-Risely etc.
southpier
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
entire network: 546 Posts
KitMaker Network: 146 Posts
Posted: Monday, December 18, 2017 - 03:48 PM UTC
the term "Gentleman's Scale" comes directly from the Max Von Sydow character in Three Days of the Condor.

http://www.portsmouthnh.com/video-vault-cult-movie-reviews-three-days-of-the-condor/

54 mm it is.
Bravo1102
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
entire network: 2,864 Posts
KitMaker Network: 171 Posts
Posted: Monday, December 18, 2017 - 04:38 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I always assumed that the "Gentleman's Scale", if there was one, would be the old 54mm figure as per "Tradition", Imrie-Risely etc.

No, that is the toy soldier scale; Britains.
 _GOTOTOP