_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General: Advice on...
Need some general advice? Place it here.
West Coast Hobbies, BC
MichaelSatin
Staff MemberCampaigns Administrator
AEROSCALE
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
entire network: 3,909 Posts
KitMaker Network: 134 Posts
Posted: Friday, November 24, 2017 - 08:34 PM UTC
Just wondering if anyone here, especially our Canadian friends, have any experience with West Coast Hobbies in British Columbia? I'm looking to make an order (he has great prices on Fly Hurricanes) and thought I'd check to see if anyone else has done business with them.

Thanks!

Michael
Jmarles
Visit this Community
British Columbia, Canada
entire network: 1,138 Posts
KitMaker Network: 166 Posts
Posted: Saturday, November 25, 2017 - 01:45 AM UTC
I live in Vancouver but I've not heard of them. They operate out of Port Alberni which is on Vancouver Island. The website says they may switch owners in the New Year.
They seem to be an established company, however. Personally I deal with Magic Box hobbies here, they do special orders and prices are decent.
thegirl
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
entire network: 6,743 Posts
KitMaker Network: 456 Posts
Posted: Monday, November 27, 2017 - 06:16 AM UTC
Haven't dealt with West Coast Hobbies , but I have dealt with Magic Box Hobbies and no issues whatsoever . They are fast on getting your order out . Have my in two days and I'm the next province over . Can't say how fast to the states though .
Jmarles
Visit this Community
British Columbia, Canada
Posted: Monday, November 27, 2017 - 08:40 AM UTC
Magic Box is awesome! They have 10% discount for instore customers too.
MichaelSatin
Staff MemberCampaigns Administrator
AEROSCALE
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
entire network: 3,909 Posts
KitMaker Network: 134 Posts
Posted: Saturday, December 16, 2017 - 10:25 PM UTC
Well, to answer my own question, I went ahead an placed an order with West Coast. I ordered three Fly 1/32 Hurricanes (Mk I, IIc, and IId) since the prices were so much better than any available here in the States. He seems to specialize in Eastern European kits. West Coast was charging 69 Canadian for the I and IId (only 63 for the IIc) vs. $89 US from Sprue brothers. All three kits with 3 vacuform canopies and a set of canopy masks cost me a bit over $200 US, even with shipping from Canada. I could only have gotten two from a US supplier for that money, so I went for it.

Everything arrived in good shape and pretty quickly given the international shipping. The owner (Rob) did something rather interesting with the packing to reduce the price. He consolidated the three kits into two and folded the last box flat, thus making for a smaller shipping container and keeping the price down.

Anyway, a very good experience and highly recommended!

Michael
Jmarles
Visit this Community
British Columbia, Canada
Posted: Sunday, December 17, 2017 - 04:07 AM UTC
Good to know!
 _GOTOTOP