_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General
General discussions about modeling topics.
Verlinden 120mm
cutigerfan
Visit this Community
South Carolina, United States
entire network: 133 Posts
KitMaker Network: 47 Posts
Posted: Friday, November 17, 2017 - 10:11 PM UTC
Can anyone remember back in the day what the retail price was for just a single figure (Roughly)? Thanks.
sgtreef
Visit this Community
Oklahoma, United States
entire network: 6,043 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,603 Posts
Posted: Saturday, November 18, 2017 - 05:46 AM UTC
According to what the figure was.
If I remember around $17.00 and above.
Any help?
cutigerfan
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, November 18, 2017 - 09:18 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Any help?

Thank you, that's what I was thinking.
cutigerfan
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, November 18, 2017 - 04:04 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Any help?

Jeff, the figure I'm looking at is the Verlinden 120mm German Infrantry May 1940 (#2796). There's a local Hobbie shop that has several different 120 mmm Verlinden figures that the owner is asking $32.00 and up on these figures. He's had these figures for years and someone brought them into his store and he bought the lot. I've looked online and seeing the asking price for a single figure is starting at $31.95 and up. Now it's up to the buyer whether or not to pay that price. My question now is this, are they bringing this price? Are they becoming collector items? May be some else may read this and have a better answer. I myself just can't justify paying that kinda of price for something that originally cost $17.00 - $20.00 range back in the day.
Grauwolf
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
entire network: 2,485 Posts
KitMaker Network: 480 Posts
Posted: Saturday, November 18, 2017 - 06:14 PM UTC
Well look at it this way...seeing that Verlinden has ceased to operate and destroyed the molds,
the price of these figures will just keep rising as fewer of them become available from
whatever stocks still remain.

There will probably be some guy selling copies on Ebay etc at
a better price...but I personally will not touch those.

So if these are originals...maybe worth the investment as they
may be collector's items in a few years.

Just my thoughts,
Cheers,
cutigerfan
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, November 19, 2017 - 06:38 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Well look at it this way...seeing that Verlinden has ceased to operate and destroyed the molds,
the price of these figures will just keep rising as fewer of them become available from
whatever stocks still remain.

There will probably be some guy selling copies on Ebay etc at
a better price...but I personally will not touch those.

So if these are originals...maybe worth the investment as they
may be collector's items in a few years.

Just my thoughts,
Cheers,

You're probably right.
Kevlar06
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
entire network: 3,670 Posts
KitMaker Network: 527 Posts
Posted: Sunday, November 19, 2017 - 07:08 AM UTC
We've gone down this road before-- I made the comment that the molds were destroyed, and someone promptly informed me the masters were saved and sold-- so I suspect we'll see them again-- maybe not in the quantity Verlinden released, but selectively we'll probably have some re-issues. That being said, 120mm is quite large as figures go, so a $32 price tag isn't that much considering. But here's another caveat-- in my experience, Verlinden made some great stuff, but frequently the scale could be slightly off, or there could be some inaccurate details. For instance, many of thier "accessory" items that were supposed to be 1/35 scale often would work out to 54mm--1/32 Scale. I have the Verlinden B17 waist gunner which is advertised as 1/16 scale, but the kit actually works out to 1/15 scale-- and it's pretty innacurate for what it depicts. So, before buying anything Verlinden now, I try and read some reviews. They made some great stuff, but they weren't always perfect.
VR, Russ
Bravo1102
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
entire network: 2,864 Posts
KitMaker Network: 171 Posts
Posted: Sunday, November 19, 2017 - 05:37 PM UTC
Between 2002 and 2012 when I got most of mine they were $24.95 and up with some newer ones around $34. They may have been $17 at one point but that was in the 20th Century.
jldurand
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
entire network: 225 Posts
KitMaker Network: 8 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, November 22, 2017 - 05:06 AM UTC
Maybe this might help:

https://www.facebook.com/VerlindenProductionsStock/?hc_ref=ARTpYiI2-WJiWV1VnvRd_S1pGw79uTgAzx3xpv72rfFCcqqYmoa-RLsmfViy9Coxcpc
sherb
Visit this Community
New York, United States
entire network: 752 Posts
KitMaker Network: 341 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, November 22, 2017 - 06:53 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Can anyone remember back in the day what the retail price was for just a single figure (Roughly)? Thanks.

I remember picking up a couple of Verlinden's 120mm Vietnam figures between 1994 and 1998 and they were $30. This was in a hobby store in Philadelphia. A few years back I was there again and they still had a lot of the same items--at the same prices--good for the hard to find things, not so much for the kits that are past their prime.
sgtreef
Visit this Community
Oklahoma, United States
entire network: 6,043 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,603 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, November 28, 2017 - 05:53 AM UTC
I bought his first book say 1979 or so.
And still have it some where The Verlinden way,was buying stuff while in Germany 1981, price was cheap as heck back then bought his first book in German for the price of 25 Mark which in those days was 4 mark to the dollar or close to it so about $8.00 or so,wish I would of bought a lot more, but did not I have his mags a good part anyway, and a bunch of his stuff most went for $10.00 to $13.00 for figures a lot at $8.00 and the first 1/16 scale was close to $17.00 something back then ,the camel one was like $25.00 but had two camels, plus the 2 columns.

Great Modeler he is, as well as Shep was.
cutigerfan
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, November 28, 2017 - 06:33 PM UTC

Quoted Text

We've gone down this road before-- I made the comment that the molds were destroyed, and someone promptly informed me the masters were saved and sold-- so I suspect we'll see them again-- maybe not in the quantity Verlinden released, but selectively we'll probably have some re-issues. That being said, 120mm is quite large as figures go, so a $32 price tag isn't that much considering. But here's another caveat-- in my experience, Verlinden made some great stuff, but frequently the scale could be slightly off, or there could be some inaccurate details. For instance, many of thier "accessory" items that were supposed to be 1/35 scale often would work out to 54mm--1/32 Scale. I have the Verlinden B17 waist gunner which is advertised as 1/16 scale, but the kit actually works out to 1/15 scale-- and it's pretty innacurate for what it depicts. So, before buying anything Verlinden now, I try and read some reviews. They made some great stuff, but they weren't always perfect.
VR, Russ

You're absolutely correct. A lot of his releases were not to scale (both 1/35th & 120mm). The figure that I'm referring to is #2796 German Infantry France 1940. I've tried to find when this figure was originally released, but I've not been able to. However, I've looked at this figure out of the box and it really looks good and to scale. The twist on these figures as I've mentioned before were brought in to this local hobby shop some time ago (years) as part of estate and the owner purchased the lot. I did asked the owner why he had a price of $32.00 dollars and he stated that was the going price and he showed me a distributor he buys things through and that's how he's come up with the listed price. I have no idea what he payed for the lot and I'm not going to ask, but there's a reason these figures have been setting on the shelves for many years. Although, I am enthralled by this one particular figure and I'll probably end up purchasing it. But, it's though to pay the price he's asking. Just my opinion.
ivanhoe6
Visit this Community
Wisconsin, United States
entire network: 2,023 Posts
KitMaker Network: 626 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, November 28, 2017 - 08:08 PM UTC
Check out Sprue Brothers. They have 120mm figs anywhere from $12 to $36.
 _GOTOTOP