_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General
General discussions about modeling topics.
VIDEO
Introduction to Real Colors by AK
staff_Jim
Staff MemberPublisher
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
New Hampshire, United States
entire network: 12,571 Posts
KitMaker Network: 4,397 Posts
Posted: Monday, November 13, 2017 - 04:33 AM UTC
AK Interactive has released a completely new line of paints and these are some of the informative videos they have put out covering their origin and use.

Link to Item

If you have comments or questions please post them here.

Thanks!
drabslab
Visit this Community
European Union
entire network: 2,186 Posts
KitMaker Network: 263 Posts
Posted: Monday, November 13, 2017 - 01:35 PM UTC
This looks really interesting, I hope that their aircraft line of paints is not far behind.

There seems to be an avalanche of new paint branches lately; real color; tru color; mig color, vallejo ... next to all the oldies: humbrol, tamiya, gunze, modelmaster ...

I wonder how much of it is different... and how much is the same in different bottles and brands.

hanb7323
Visit this Community
Daejeon, Korea / 대한민국
entire network: 408 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1 Posts
Posted: Monday, November 13, 2017 - 05:45 PM UTC
The next will be true color or realistic real color
Bizarre
Visit this Community
Akershus, Norway
entire network: 1,709 Posts
KitMaker Network: 82 Posts
Posted: Monday, November 13, 2017 - 10:53 PM UTC
you forgot authentic colour
11Bravo_C2
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
entire network: 475 Posts
KitMaker Network: 47 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, November 14, 2017 - 03:38 AM UTC
Just a bunch of marketing hoopla..
11Bravo_C2
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Tuesday, November 14, 2017 - 03:42 AM UTC

Quoted Text

The next will be true color or realistic real color

Tru Color exists. Next will be Absolutely Positively Legitimate Real Colors.
staff_Jim
Staff MemberPublisher
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
New Hampshire, United States
entire network: 12,571 Posts
KitMaker Network: 4,397 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, November 14, 2017 - 03:51 AM UTC
Yes because calling your kit making company "Accurate Armour" didn't invite criticism. Perhaps people should wait and see what the communities consensus is before simply jumping on a marketing decision. Goodness knows there have been some dubious name choices in this industry in the past, but personally I don't think a name that indicates color accuracy is ever a bad choice. What would you prefer they have called it? SUPER PAINT?

And as I noted in my most recent Mail Call video (as we got some of these as samples) Pawel (Vodnik) has used these and posted on FB that he likes them a lot. Which is no small praise coming from him. I guess we will see what our own content contributors can do with our samples.

Thanks,
Jim
gregcctrn
Visit this Community
British Columbia, Canada
entire network: 329 Posts
KitMaker Network: 236 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, November 14, 2017 - 09:59 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Yes because calling your kit making company "Accurate Armour" didn't invite criticism. Perhaps people should wait and see what the communities consensus is before simply jumping on a marketing decision. Goodness knows there have been some dubious name choices in this industry in the past, but personally I don't think a name that indicates color accuracy is ever a bad choice. What would you prefer they have called it? SUPER PAINT?

And as I noted in my most recent Mail Call video (as we got some of these as samples) Pawel (Vodnik) has used these and posted on FB that he likes them a lot. Which is no small praise coming from him. I guess we will see what our own content contributors can do with our samples.

Thanks,
Jim

Well stated Jim!

The arm chair critics seem to leap into action quite easily these days.

Who knows what this product will be like; rather than sitting at your key board poking at the name selection, how about try the product so that your criticism is based in first hand experience.

Empty criticisms are hardly worth anyone's time.....if you try and don't like it - blast away, but until then why be the "naysayer" in life.
HGBARNES
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
AEROSCALE
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
entire network: 45 Posts
KitMaker Network: 3 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, November 14, 2017 - 09:12 PM UTC
I'll second both Jim and Greg's comments.
drabslab
Visit this Community
European Union
Posted: Tuesday, November 14, 2017 - 11:23 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I guess we will see what our own content contributors can do with our samples.

Thanks,
Jim

Let indeed hope that this brings some clarity. I must admit that I am a bit lost with the huge choice there is these days and testing everything myself seems a bit beyond what is possible.
11Bravo_C2
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Wednesday, November 15, 2017 - 10:09 AM UTC
I was referring to the paint name AK chose as being a marketing hype. Were none of AK previous paints "real colors"?
metooshelah
Visit this Community
Jerusalem, Israel
entire network: 1,507 Posts
KitMaker Network: 195 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, November 15, 2017 - 01:01 PM UTC
I just think they are a overpriced. $2.69 for 10 ml, when most other companies are $1.5-2? Why bother
drabslab
Visit this Community
European Union
Posted: Wednesday, November 15, 2017 - 02:03 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I just think they are a overpriced. $2.69 for 10 ml, when most other companies are $1.5-2? Why bother

Yep, seems expensive but quality has a price.

Their inttorduction video's show that they went to a substantial effort to identify the correct colors for their subjects (AFV) involving 4 experts (who don't work for free I assume). This comes at a price.

Is the modeller prepared to pay that price: this is what each individual has to decide for him/herself.

Is that quality real or only marketing hype: this we will have to find out by trying ourselves, or by reading reviews on kitmaker.

I keep wondering however how many of the paint branches we have are actually different products and not the same thing in slightly different packaging.

Still, I wish any company or entrepreneur the best of luck and a good business. Competition is good for us.

metooshelah
Visit this Community
Jerusalem, Israel
entire network: 1,507 Posts
KitMaker Network: 195 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, November 15, 2017 - 05:53 PM UTC
I don't think the paint justifies the price gap over tamyia or any other
Lisec
Visit this Community
Croatia Hrvatska
entire network: 306 Posts
KitMaker Network: 23 Posts
Posted: Thursday, November 16, 2017 - 02:17 AM UTC
Price will be a factor, i will (probably) never switch from GunzeSangyo as I am too happy with them.

True, possibility of mixing it with GS is appealing. However, I`m annoyed with them not deciding if the range is Acrylic or Lacquer. They went from calling them lacquer to acrylic lacquer and testing them on Acrylic paints (which are not true water based paints)which are considered,for all intents and purposes, Acrylics.

So, do they say
Hey, we are a new not seen before medium based paint called Lacquer Acrylic( or Acrylic Lacquer)
or
Hey,we are a new Acrylic range
or
Hey, we are a new Lacquer range
JoeOsborne
Visit this Community
California, United States
entire network: 111 Posts
KitMaker Network: 14 Posts
Posted: Thursday, November 16, 2017 - 09:11 AM UTC
Although I like the idea of competition as we will be the winners here, the hard economic facts are I have an abundance of paints. I have about 60 bottles of MRP, the full Tamiya line in the larger bottles, a full set of Vallejo Model Air, a near full set of Vallejo Model Color, several specialized packages of Lifecolor, a full set of Alclad II metallics, a full set of Vallejo Metallics, a smattering of AK and AMMO acrylics, about 40 jars of Modelmaster enamels, and I’ve just started to build a collection of Mission Model acrylics that I really like! Right now my main go to paints are Mr Paint, Tamiya, and Mission Models acrylics, over either a primer of Gunze 1500 black, Tamiya primer, or Stynlrez, and I’m very happy with the selections. I daresay I’m probably not alone in this “abundant collection” of paints So the reality is in this tight market, I may try a bottle or two, but it will be ages before
JoeOsborne
Visit this Community
California, United States
entire network: 111 Posts
KitMaker Network: 14 Posts
Posted: Thursday, November 16, 2017 - 09:11 AM UTC
...I would consider taking on a new paint line.
drabslab
Visit this Community
European Union
Posted: Thursday, November 16, 2017 - 01:54 PM UTC

Quoted Text

...I would consider taking on a new paint line.

Isn't that the problem for most of us, I have mainly Humbrol but also Tamiya,some modelmaster, vallejo (hate that stuff), AK, MIG... all bought to try and see if it was any better than Humbrol... and now I constantly doubt if e.g. painting tamiya acrylic on top of Humbrol enamel will give good results (or something like that ...).

The same for models themselves... I have a stash large enough for the rest of my life, and despite all good efforts, it only grows, which is ridiculous if you think about it: why do I want these models on a pile on the attic if I can buy them anytime from anywhere in the world at the moment I really want to start building them?

Paint is different however, its much more like a tool and I don't want to run to the internet shop and wait a few weeks because I miss a color.

So yes, I do look with a lot of interest to the current popping up of all these paint branches in the (false?) hope that I will be able to standardise on one branch.

Apparently, AK involved 4 experts on constructing a good paint range, maybe us the modellers and clients should join forces and do the ultimate paint comparison test?

Would that be a subject for a campaign????

russamotto
Visit this Community
Utah, United States
entire network: 3,389 Posts
KitMaker Network: 625 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, November 22, 2017 - 02:03 AM UTC
I use Tamiya paints because of the lack of odor and the ability to thin with alcohol and clean with windex-things I can purchase easily which makes them very convenient and again reduces the chemical odor. Plus, they airbrush very well and the paint has excellent adhesion. Does this new paint act like Tamiya or is it strictly a laquer?
 _GOTOTOP