_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General: Advice on...
Need some general advice? Place it here.
Need advice on airbrush.
Jettail
Visit this Community
Nevada, United States
entire network: 50 Posts
KitMaker Network: 11 Posts
Posted: Saturday, November 11, 2017 - 04:51 AM UTC
Short version, Airbrush refuses to get paint through, I left it overnight in cleaning fluid mixed with water, and it was spraying water from the cup just fine. But I go to put paint in it, (and this happens every time) I hit the trigger and pull back and nothing comes out. I look at it and paint is coming through just fine, but it refuses to spray like its supposed to. What am I doing wrong here? Air comes through fine, its not clogged, I clean the nozzle and even the needle tip....but still nothing.
petbat
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
entire network: 3,353 Posts
KitMaker Network: 94 Posts
Posted: Saturday, November 11, 2017 - 05:59 AM UTC
It may help if you advise what type of airbrush you are using and how paint is drawn into it (cup or jar).

Does it spray water now?

Have you checked the needle is not adjusted too far forward or the locking nut is not loose and is sliding down the needle shaft, not drawing it backward?

Have you removed the tip and ensured the hole is not blocked at all?

Have you cleaned inside the airbrush cavity behind where the tip screw on?

Is your air pressure sufficient?

Did you use an airbrush cleaner or another form of solvent? Some may react with the seals in the airbrush dissolving them or making them expand.

If all the above check out, I suggest you find your manufacturers service agent and give them a call.
Kevlar06
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
entire network: 3,670 Posts
KitMaker Network: 527 Posts
Posted: Saturday, November 11, 2017 - 06:31 AM UTC
One other thing you might check is to make sure your needle retainer is tight, if it's not, your trigger may just be slipping along the needle, which remains in place, blocking the paint nozzle.
VR, Russ
Jettail
Visit this Community
Nevada, United States
Posted: Saturday, November 11, 2017 - 07:00 AM UTC
Its a Masterbrush, not sure what model, came it a kit with the airpump and such. its fed by a cup system. and it works sometimes, but not all the time.
RobinNilsson
Staff MemberDirector of Member Services
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Stockholm, Sweden
entire network: 6,693 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,042 Posts
Posted: Sunday, November 12, 2017 - 12:12 AM UTC
Something from this web-page ?
http://www.tcpglobal.com/Airbrushing-Supplies/Master-Airbrush/

Type of paint?
Thinner? Ratio
What is the "cleaning fluid"?

/ Robin
Vicious
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
entire network: 1,517 Posts
KitMaker Network: 309 Posts
Posted: Sunday, November 12, 2017 - 03:37 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Its a Masterbrush, not sure what model, came it a kit with the airpump and such. its fed by a cup system. and it works sometimes, but not all the time.

in addition to Robin's questions...

Which Thinner Do You Use?

were is the color cup on your AB?...up,side,down?...

What air compressor "Air punp" do you have?...What pressure does it can reach?..

Many of the little "portable" compressors are made to shot ink of food coloring,stuff thin like water.

Jettail
Visit this Community
Nevada, United States
Posted: Sunday, November 12, 2017 - 04:01 AM UTC
http://www.tcpglobal.com/ECOKIT-17.html#.WgjRRnZryM9 this is the kit, a G22 with a TC-20 compressor.

I'm not sure the ratio of paint to thinner...
I mainly use Vallejo paints and just add enough vallejo thinner till the paint has the viscosity of milk (after being thoroughly mixed) Maybe I'm doing it wrong, I'm still really new to the whole airbrush scene.

The paint cup faces up, its a gravity feed, and the cleaning solution is just createx i picked up in Utah when I still lived there.
RobinNilsson
Staff MemberDirector of Member Services
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Stockholm, Sweden
entire network: 6,693 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,042 Posts
Posted: Sunday, November 12, 2017 - 05:36 PM UTC

Quoted Text

http://www.tcpglobal.com/ECOKIT-17.html#.WgjRRnZryM9 this is the kit, a G22 with a TC-20 compressor.

I'm not sure the ratio of paint to thinner...
I mainly use Vallejo paints and just add enough vallejo thinner till the paint has the viscosity of milk (after being thoroughly mixed) Maybe I'm doing it wrong, I'm still really new to the whole airbrush scene.

The paint cup faces up, its a gravity feed, and the cleaning solution is just createx i picked up in Utah when I still lived there.

Hmmm...
I don't have any experience with the Vallejo paints so I don't know if the Createx airbrush cleaner will work but let's assume that it does.

You have taken out the needle and removed the tip and checked the insides for paint residue.
It sprays water but nothing thicker than water.
Is it a total absence of spray or does it spray badly?

Does the paint come through all the way to the nozzle when you pull back on the trigger?
You wrote that air comes through ok.

My first guess is that it is a cleaning issue.
Take the airbrush apart and inspect all channels and inner surfaces. Soaking in cleaning solution only works to a certain degree. Paint residue will build up over time, especially if the paint and solvent are not 100% compatible.

/ Robin
/Robin
varanusk
Staff MemberManaging Editor
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
Santa Cruz de Tenerife, Spain / Espaņa
entire network: 1,288 Posts
KitMaker Network: 337 Posts
Posted: Sunday, November 12, 2017 - 05:38 PM UTC
Most of the times I have found that the problem is dried paint, despite you can not see it.

Remove the nozzle and its seal so you have only the metal part and soak it for a few hours in acetone. Clean it carefully with a tool like this

Or something similar
Jettail
Visit this Community
Nevada, United States
Posted: Wednesday, November 15, 2017 - 04:35 AM UTC
i tried everything you told me too, and...it actually works, probably some paint stuck up in there...unfortunately I might have broken something as the only thing I had to get the paint out was a tiny drill bit. Hopefully not, but its working fairly well so far.
Grauwolf
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
entire network: 2,485 Posts
KitMaker Network: 480 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, November 15, 2017 - 06:13 AM UTC
You should invest in a set of interdental brushes....they come
in different sizes...will remove dried paint and will not risk
damaging the nozzle as with anything made of metal.

These really work well:

https://www.tepeusa.com/products/interdental-brush

or

https://www.ebay.ca/itm/0-2mm-0-4mm-dia-Kobayashi-Dr-Dental-Micro-Interdental-15p-Brush

Cheers,
Vicious
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
entire network: 1,517 Posts
KitMaker Network: 309 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, November 15, 2017 - 06:26 AM UTC
I use these, they are used by dentists, but there is no risk of damage because they are made in paper, just dip in the thinner/cleaner and clean the nozzle, and there are enough measures to clean a 0.15 nozzle,and are pretty cheap

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/200pcs-Pack-Dental-Absorbent-Paper-Points-Root-Cancel-Endodontics-Cotton-Fiber-Tips-Dentist-Product-Superior-Quanlity/32752580663.html?spm=a2g0s.9042311.0.0.cLu176
petbat
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
entire network: 3,353 Posts
KitMaker Network: 94 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, November 15, 2017 - 08:40 AM UTC
Vicious, I'm sure others will agree that anything with the words 'root canal' will send shivers up your spine.

Having had 2, and one that got an infection..... bad memories

Glad to see you got the airbrush working Cameron. Make sure you thoroughly clean the brush immediately after every use and you should have no issues.

Happy modelling
 _GOTOTOP